Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad A1219 not starting

Hi, I have 2 ipad A1219s in perfect condition apart from not booting up. Not sure on IOS version as cannot get them to start.

I have not used them for over a year, when i last used them they worked fine btw, but now want to give to my kids for their dorm rooms at college.

Problem is it will not charge, when i connect it to a computer i get a black screen, when I connect to power to charge I see the apple logo flash on and off but that's all.

I contacted apple support phone line, they told me they are obsolete ?? so no longer supported by the stores. Would appreciate thoughts on a fix (battery replacement?) or whether they are even worth fixing.

iPad Wi-Fi, A1219

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 1:33 PM

Those iPads are the 2010, 1st generation 9.7 inch screen iPads.

Apple is correct.

They stopped all support for that year iPad model quite a few years, ago.

If you didn't keep these charged up during the year, then it is quite possible the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery in those iPads maybe dead/failed.

There is no way to replace the Lithium-ion batteries in those iPads.

Make sure the charge cables and Apple power block are known to work.

Leave those iPads connected up to power for a 3-4 hours, or so, to see if the batteries will begin to charge up after that period of time.

FYI,

I am not sure how useful those iPads will be to college bound kids.

The original 2010, 1st generation iPad can only be upgraded and run iOS 5.1.1 max., which is a 7-year old iOS version.

iOS, as of this coming Monday, will be up to iOS 12.

Apps for those iPads can only be gotten through my methods below and those apps will be, at the very minimum, 5 or 6 year old versions.

Old apps for 2010 Original iPad running iOS 5.1.1

The 1st generation, 2010 iPad models were only iOS supported for 1 year!

They were woefully underpowered, even then, and have been considered “early adopter” models.

The Internal RAM of a 2010 iPad had only 256 MBs ( NOT GBs of RAM ).

Most newer iPad models have, at least 1 GB of RAM and many much newer iPads have 2 GBs of RAM.

There is zero support for these 8 year old iPad models, now.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 1:33 PM in response to loopuser

Those iPads are the 2010, 1st generation 9.7 inch screen iPads.

Apple is correct.

They stopped all support for that year iPad model quite a few years, ago.

If you didn't keep these charged up during the year, then it is quite possible the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery in those iPads maybe dead/failed.

There is no way to replace the Lithium-ion batteries in those iPads.

Make sure the charge cables and Apple power block are known to work.

Leave those iPads connected up to power for a 3-4 hours, or so, to see if the batteries will begin to charge up after that period of time.

FYI,

I am not sure how useful those iPads will be to college bound kids.

The original 2010, 1st generation iPad can only be upgraded and run iOS 5.1.1 max., which is a 7-year old iOS version.

iOS, as of this coming Monday, will be up to iOS 12.

Apps for those iPads can only be gotten through my methods below and those apps will be, at the very minimum, 5 or 6 year old versions.

Old apps for 2010 Original iPad running iOS 5.1.1

The 1st generation, 2010 iPad models were only iOS supported for 1 year!

They were woefully underpowered, even then, and have been considered “early adopter” models.

The Internal RAM of a 2010 iPad had only 256 MBs ( NOT GBs of RAM ).

Most newer iPad models have, at least 1 GB of RAM and many much newer iPads have 2 GBs of RAM.

There is zero support for these 8 year old iPad models, now.

Sep 16, 2018 2:53 PM in response to loopuser

Whatever you decide to do, first look at refurbished iPad models from Apple’s own refurbished store here.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Refurbished products from Apple are treated as new, get repaired and quality controlled and get new batteries and new front and back cases.

In addition, Apple refurbed products carry all of the same free and paid AppleCare warranty policies as new Apple products.

You will not get these warranties from any other unahthorised Apple product resellers, like eBay OR Amazon.

Also, if you look at any Apple iDevices on eBay make absolutely sure that you do not get “stiffed” with iPads that may have user activation lock or iCloud locked as these locks cannot be defeated by another user/purhaser of the used iPad without the help of tbe original owner of the used iPad which may not be possible to contact or obtain and Apple will not help you with any of this, either, as Activation Lock is a type of anti theft, privacy protection feature that cannot be defeated without help of the used iDevice’s original owner.

Good Luck to You!

ipad A1219 not starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.