Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 4G won't start following 12.4.1 update

I got the notification that I needed to update my 18 month old iPad Pro to IOS 12.4.1 about 2 weeks ago and started the download and install process. Plugged in to recharge to ensure enough power to process the install and found that the recharge battery indicator didn't turn on - never did that before. Eventually the battery showed 1% charge and cut out during the update.

I tried to soft/hard reset to no avail. Now left with a dead iPad that will not restart at all from different USB cables/chargers/ or from ITunes on my desktop. Service center says it is not a battery fault but can't help.

Any advice on anything else i could try in the way of resets etc?

Totally at a loss other than to pay the center an extortionate amount to repair it?

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:28 AM

Hello,

It sounds like your iPad’s logic board has failed. You can try performing a restart using the following instructions although I’m not too hopeful that it will work.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 23, 2019 10:36 AM in response to glowplug1

Hi glowplug1,

Since the problem does not lies with the battery, pls charge your battery to more than 50%. 

Then restart your iPad, pls watch this YouTube tutorial video: https://youtu.be/Bd_BWjfhE04

When it’s restarted, perhaps you can try updating your iOS software wirelessly without using iTunes.

Turn off any VPN networks before updating your iOS software (Go to Settings->VPN <Switch It Off>)

Then go to Settings->General->Software Update->Tap Download and Install->Tap Install

Hope these helps.

Sep 24, 2019 3:49 AM in response to glowplug1

Hi glowplug1,

Unable to charge battery, this is a high possibility of battery failure so getting a battery replacement will be the only solution. The repair fee costs UK$376, yup it’s quite expensive (I suppose you are not covered under AppleCare+ Warranty) 

If you opt for battery repair, I don’t think Apple will change a 2nd-hand battery for you as Apple is a huge company who values their reputation, they won’t want their reputation smeared.

Or you contact Apple Support and see if you can trade in this iPad & buy another new iPad. If you do purchase a new iPad, I will advise you to purchase AppleCare+ Warranty, pls note.

All the best to you, good luck ☘️

Sep 24, 2019 8:39 AM in response to glowplug1

Hi 👋glowplug1,

Sure, no problem at all. You are a nice person to talk with. 

By the way, can I know how long did you use this iPad Pro until the battery issue occurs?

Another suggestion of mine is you can send your iPad Pro for repair, send it to a trustworthy and reliable computer repair shop which fixes iPad Pro’s battery issues.

Actually, I can share my own experience with you: 

It’s regarding a Gold Colour HP Pavillion Laptop which I bought on 30 Jul 2016, I bought this lousy laptop for the price of $1499 and less than 2 years, there’s battery calibration issues for 2 times (After exchanging a new battery but again battery calibration issue occurs and a 2nd time a new battery exchange was needed) 

I suspected the 1st battery which HP exchanged for me was not a brand new battery instead it was a semi-faulty 2nd hand battery because it could never charged up until 100% while the 2nd battery exchanged for me could charge up to 100% but couldn’t last for 2 years. In the end, I had to remove the whole battery myself but another problem occurs, the entire hard disk failed and spoilt entirely. 

HP thinks I don’t know the 1st battery is semi-faulty, I know it in my heart just that I didn’t say it out. From this unpleasant experience, I won’t ever buy HP products in future, HP is in my blacklist now and forever.

To my astonishment, I found out from a computer repair young guy that HP’s testing system of hard disk’s health is very unreliable. A normal laptop can last about 5 years but I used it for only 3 years so I felt that I spent $1499 (Singapore Dollars) buying this crappy laptop was not worth it, this amount of money I can buy 2 iPads already. 

That’s why I decided to buy an iPad (6th Generation with Wifi only) which I’m using now instead of spending quite a huge amount of money ($500) to repair this HP Pavilion Laptop. 

But in another 1 month plus I will send this HP Laptop for repair by this computer repair young man instead of HP Service Repair as I trust this young man now more than I trust HP. I need a laptop so I can access iTunes, learn about it, cast laptop’s screen to TV screen through a hdmi cable and using it with my video editing software, that’s why I’m sending it for repair in another 1 month plus time.

So many people including celebrities are using Apple Products so I believe Apple products are more tough, durable and lasting products.

Anyway, I have AppleCare+ Warranty & easily contactable Apple Support so I don’t have to worry at all, at least need not worry for 2 years.

May you find a solution to your issue soon, man you can do it 💪💪💪

Sep 24, 2019 8:59 AM in response to GOldAPPle78

Hi

GOldAPPle78

Fully appreciate your battery problems. I had a battery problem with my iPhone and after buying a replacement spent 2 painstaking hours installing it - but what a difference.

On my iPad, which is only 18 months old, the battery was very good and lasted many days on one charge - up to the point when I tried to install IOS 12.4.1. Then it would not charge again and eventually ran out of power.

When I plug it in to a charger for a day or so it sometimes comes alive onto the home screen for a few minutes before locking up and going back to empty battery symbol . Very frustrating.

All the best.

iPad Pro 4G won't start following 12.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.