Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 4 ecg in uk

if I get an Apple Watch 4 now will the ecg feature be added by software later in the uk

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 2:43 PM

The restriction on ECG availability a regulatory issue. At this stage it has regulatory approval only for the USA model within USA (not Canada which uses the same hardware) so nobody outside the Apple designers knows whether it will ever be approved in Europe, or whether the European models will be provided with the function able to be unlocked.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 2:43 PM in response to geoff26

The restriction on ECG availability a regulatory issue. At this stage it has regulatory approval only for the USA model within USA (not Canada which uses the same hardware) so nobody outside the Apple designers knows whether it will ever be approved in Europe, or whether the European models will be provided with the function able to be unlocked.

Sep 22, 2018 1:42 AM in response to lfaitas

The North American and European Apple Watches are most certainly NOT the same inside, at least in the cellular versions. Please read Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple to see the different regional models with their model numbers and compatibility. If you want to give priority to EGC and buy a watch which is not compatible with your cellular network that is your choice, because I can guarantee the US models will only be compatible with networks in the North America cellular region, and they will not work on networks elsewhere.

As far as we know there is only one worldwide hardware model number fo the non-cellular version, but this will not be confirmed until users start posting details of their new watches. That means you could have a friend in USA buy a watch and send it to you, but you would have to take it back to USA for warranty, and it will be liable for import VAT and duty when it enters the UK.

Sep 24, 2018 4:01 AM in response to benoit233

No, I believe you are wrong. The relevant warranty terms would be those applicable to the place and date of purchase. In this case it is proposed to purchase in USA, so the US warranty would apply. Please refer to Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty and in particular

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION.

Apple may restrict warranty service for hardware products to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Because the original purchase was USA there is no liability for Apple to the warranty and provide service in Europe, although they may chose to do so. In that case the equivalent European warranty doc states

Apple may restrict warranty service for Apple Watch and Apple TV to countries where Apple or its Authorized Resellers sell the device.

which is something of a problem, because the specific product has a different part number in the US market, so either they can't provide an identical exchange, or an exchange device has to be imported from USA -

For service requested in a country other than the country of purchase for the Apple Product, Apple may repair or replace products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards.

You may seek service in a country that is not the country of purchase, in such a case you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges.

Sep 21, 2018 10:35 PM in response to Branta_uk

Halo,

But what if i buy the apple watch 4 from the USA, and bring it to Europe, would it work over there?

Obviously the hardware is there, its only that is it not allowed to be sold in Europe.

If the software in the iPhone is installed from the use apple store then wouldn't it still work in Europe.

Probably the European apple store will not have it available for download?

I think many people will have friends in the USA to buy it from there and bring it to Europe just to have those extra functions!

Sep 21, 2018 10:40 PM in response to lfaitas

At this point, the US phones don't even have the function. It will be a software release from Apple at a later date. Only and the regulators can know if the Watch sold in the UK will be able to handle the function. From what we know at this point, it will be a software update to turn it on, and the ability to update may be able to be restricted for countries where the function does not have regulatory approval. Anything more than that is really speculation, and I may have already inadvertently crossed that line, which is prohibited by the Terms of Service for the forum.

Sep 21, 2018 10:55 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

So hypothetically .. always.. the US and European watches will be exactly the same inside in case one day they get approved in Europe.

Which means that when the software update comes in US all watches over there will automatically have the 2 new features after their update.

Then a US tourist that goes on holidays in Europe will still have these 2 new functions even in Europe, as long as they have updated the apple watches firmware and what else software on their iPhone while in the us.

Sep 22, 2018 7:26 AM in response to lfaitas

As you have already been told, they are not exactly the same, especially the cellular versions. They are different model numbers for those devices. I was guessing they are the same otherwise, based on past models, but as I indicated, the software may be regional releases, based on the fact the ECG feature needs to have regulatory approval for use. That has been granted in the US, and the software will be released at a later date. That has not happened for other locations, and no one but those two entities will know if or when that could happen. Again, we are speculating, and that is not allowed. Like Branta_uk said, things could change and you could find yourself with a device that won't work in your location, and cannot be serviced in your location if you make an assumption and purchase a device designed for the US. Given the cost of the device, I would highly suggest you wait for further announcements from Apple. And I would not rely on a call to Customer Service, as they would not really have the knowledge and/or information to share at this time.

Sep 24, 2018 8:18 AM in response to benoithk

That can happen, especially for a GPS only device, or one of the older versions. However, that would not have happened for one of the GPS+Cellular versions. A store in HK would not have had the US version to swap. Not knowing everything about the Watch Series 4 at this time, it is not a good idea to assume that everything is the same.

Sep 24, 2018 11:08 AM in response to benoithk

Sorry, we were talking about Apple Watches. Even if you are speaking about the exchange of an iPhone, that was very unusual that they exchanged it. Yours is an exception, not the rule. There are hundreds of threads here about wanting to exchange a phone outside the country of purchase and that being denied, so consider yourself very fortunate.

Apple Watch 4 ecg in uk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.