Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay thinks iPhone is an iPod

New 2018 Nissan Murano. When I try to connect to CarPlay it thinks my iPhone is an iPad. I've tried:

Restart phone

Phone not locked

New USB Cable

iPhone is up to date

Reset NissanConnect

CarPlay shows iPod menu instead of iPhone.

iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 3:35 PM

What exactly do you mean that it shows an iPod menu? That would sound like you are not connected to CarPlay, but to the media section of the vehicle's sound system. Have you asked your Nissan dealer about this? Understand that CarPlay is a system, and that Apple provides the connection, but the vehicle dealers determine the way their vehicles react to the system and display information.

Do you have more than one USB connector for the vehicle? Is it possible that you are not plugged into the one for CarPlay, but for other media? Can you check your Owner's Manual, or again, check back with the dealer. They should be able to walk you through using all of their vehicle features.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 3:35 PM in response to RLiddell

What exactly do you mean that it shows an iPod menu? That would sound like you are not connected to CarPlay, but to the media section of the vehicle's sound system. Have you asked your Nissan dealer about this? Understand that CarPlay is a system, and that Apple provides the connection, but the vehicle dealers determine the way their vehicles react to the system and display information.

Do you have more than one USB connector for the vehicle? Is it possible that you are not plugged into the one for CarPlay, but for other media? Can you check your Owner's Manual, or again, check back with the dealer. They should be able to walk you through using all of their vehicle features.

CarPlay thinks iPhone is an iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.