Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - I think I might have killed my Mac

I have been having loads of problems with my MacBook Pro , finally got it working apart from MS Office 2011. I thought I'd be clever and restore the Mac to how it was when I bought it (mavericks I think - Oct 2014) . I did this and reinstalled office- all went well (Shift+alt+cmd+r) . I then did an update but nothing happened although when I went to the App Store it said high Sierra was installed.

Next move was to go back to reinstall - this time alt+cmd+r . Downloaded high Sierra but stuck at 53 minutes to go- I do mean stuck , stayed there for an hour. Not sure what I hit but the screen went blank. If I power up I get the apple lighting and the start up sound but a blank screen.

What I want to do is to get it back to some sort of order , I don't care about office 2011 anymore, I will use my Uni copy for the next 12 months and then buy one . I am really in the pooh- can anyone suggest anything

If it helps I did make fairly regular time machine backups from when I first bought it, normal every month or two and these are on an external hard drive.

Help me please

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 12:23 PM

this 1) assumes you have a valid time machine backup and 2)you are cool with loosing whats on the drive now

shut down and disconnect all external storage devices

reset the smc

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

reset the nvram

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

then boot into recovery mode

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

wipe the partition and recover the OS

configure the OS with an admin account, reconnect the time machine backup drive then open the migration assistant and recover your data from the previous account

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2018 12:23 PM in response to jonfromhinckley

this 1) assumes you have a valid time machine backup and 2)you are cool with loosing whats on the drive now

shut down and disconnect all external storage devices

reset the smc

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

reset the nvram

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

repeat 2 or 3 times

then boot into recovery mode

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

wipe the partition and recover the OS

configure the OS with an admin account, reconnect the time machine backup drive then open the migration assistant and recover your data from the previous account

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Sep 17, 2018 11:11 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hi

Thank you so much, I will try this but can't do it today -

There is nothing on the Mac that matters as it is all in iCloud as well and any software I have , I can get copies as I have the keys.

I think I can do all this if I can just get the screen to come on - I will get back to you and let you know what happens. Thanks once again

Sep 20, 2018 1:39 PM in response to jonfromhinckley

Just to say a massive thank you

In the end I restored to mavericks via shift +alt +cmd +R or whatever the bloody keys are called. I then reinstalled and set up my office 2011. Ok so it will not update but hey ho, then I upgraded to High Sierra from the app store - still got to add some software back in but that should be easy enough. Only thing I can't work out is I now look like a golf ball (you know the pic when the screen is locked.

It also seems to have majorly cured the draining battery life. I left in in sleep for almost 24 hours and it had not dropped even 1%

Help - I think I might have killed my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.