Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get to my account via Apple TV. I tried but it would not let me rent a movie.

I have a five year old Apple TV, and tried to use it to rent a movie last night, but it would not accept my access codes. It kept on telling me to re-enter my Apple ID & password. I got stuck in a loop.

Does anyone out there know how to resolve this? (I haven't tried to rent a movie from Apple before, so am guessing maybe my Apple TV software may be out of date.)

Appreciate any help I can get.

Carrie

Apple TV, Apple TV purchased 2013.

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 11:29 AM

Hi Carrie,

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If it was new in 2013, then it is most likely a 3rd generation (A1427 or A1469).

You can check its system software version in Settings. The last update was Apple TV Software 7.2.2 from December 2016.

If you have Two-Factor Authentication, and a device with older software, then the procedure is a bit special:

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

There is a time limit before the code expires, so request your code (or a new code!) after entering the characters of your password, to use those precious seconds effectively for just the code.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 11:29 AM in response to Scooterdudette

Hi Carrie,

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If it was new in 2013, then it is most likely a 3rd generation (A1427 or A1469).

You can check its system software version in Settings. The last update was Apple TV Software 7.2.2 from December 2016.

If you have Two-Factor Authentication, and a device with older software, then the procedure is a bit special:

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

There is a time limit before the code expires, so request your code (or a new code!) after entering the characters of your password, to use those precious seconds effectively for just the code.

How do I get to my account via Apple TV. I tried but it would not let me rent a movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.