Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instagram not taking up full screen after iOS 12 update

Anyone else have this issue? My insta takes takes up full screen top to bottom but not across the way. I have tried pressing the 2 arrow things but it’s already at its largest settings. I have last years iPad

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 12:19 PM

72 replies

May 10, 2019 1:05 PM in response to markfromfeltham

I've got the exact same issue, except under slightly different conditions. I'm on an older iPad 4 32-bit, and was using the previous version of Instagram. On a whim, I decided to update, thinking I'd get better features like hashtag suggestions. Nope -- now my screen is like everyone else on this thread. It's trimmed at the edges, so I don't get beautiful full screen images on my 10" iPad.

What an idiotic "downgrade"! :-(

Sep 23, 2018 6:46 AM in response to markfromfeltham

I have noticed the same on Instagram, Strava, Garmin Connect, BOM Weather, Bank First, Shopping List, Coles Mobile Wallet, Rain Radar, which are all iPhone applications that just rescale (poorly) to iPad sizes.

I see 2 possible solutions.

1. IOS 12 should have a setting that allows it to change back to how these apps were sized in IOS 11.

2. The app developers should create iPad versions of their apps.

I can't believe that Instagram hasn't done this yet. Instagram is about presenting photos, personal art, it's supposed to be a visual based app, and yet they have only produced an iPhone version that won't scale. They have been polluting our instagram feeds with advertising for a while now, so they should have no excuse that they can't finance an iPad version of software.

Nov 21, 2018 6:07 PM in response to markfromfeltham

For all I know the Instagram app is NOT a native iPad app, it is an iPhone app that can be used in the iPad because they use the same OS, so you can see it at full screen in the iPhone but on the iPad it is full screen with black bars on the sides, it always been like this, if my mind does not trick me. I have iOS 12.1 on my iPad and my iPhone and no problem at all with Instagram. Check out the images and compare, with the black bars is iPad, the other one is iPhone. Now check the iPad version and see in the right bottom corner the 2 arrows pointing each other, you tap on that and scale the image to full screen or reduced screen.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2018 7:56 PM in response to markfromfeltham

You have pressed like in this photo?

instagram should shows top to bottom with minimal black border on each side on iPads. I have iPads - Sounds like your seeing it as you should- unless I’m misunderstanding- can you post the screenshot?)

things to try:

1.restart iPad.

Or

2. Delete app and reinstalling.

3. reset all settings -

settings - general- Reset all Settings.

4. try contact Instagram support ( although I hear this does not always return a reply)

User uploaded file

Oct 30, 2018 2:46 AM in response to gubennett

gubennett wrote:

Does Apple ever chime in here, or is this just a sounding board for Apple users? I’d like to hear something official from Apple on the subject.

The Apple Support Communities are user-to-user forums where users ask questions and supply answers to help each other understand and cope with things in the Apple world. Some of those users might be Apple employees, but they are here either as hosts to keep the forums running smoothly (occasionally supplying canned answers) or as users acting on their own behalf. It is not a venue for submitting bug reports and suggestions to Apple; Apple has separate pathways for that. Neither is it a place where Apple responds to bug reports or suggestions.

You can read more about the Support Communities in the official tutorials starting at https://discussions.apple.com/community/tutorials

That page starts as follows (emphasis added):

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

We hope you’ve brought your Apple product questions! We’re here to help you find answers and advice from community members around the world. Get acquainted with the community by reading these simple tutorials.

Nov 19, 2018 8:24 AM in response to Click12

Click12 wrote:

Does anyone from Apple take any notice of these complaints?

This forum is for users asking other users for help and users giving help to other users when we can. The few Apple representatives here are to keep the forum running and occasionally supply pointers to canned help documents.

If you want to make an official complaint (or praise or just a comment) to Apple, use their official feedback pages:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You aren't likely to get any direct response, but we are told that Apple does tabulate comments there, and sometimes those comments make a difference.

Oct 20, 2018 5:30 AM in response to markwmsn

The real fix is for Instagram to create an iPad app, instead of having an iPhone app resized (poorly) to an iPad screen. This issue is not just an Instagram issue. It's the same for all iPhone apps running on an iPad.

Why can't apple give us another zoom option for iPhone apps running on iPads, so we can elect to have the same presentation as iOS11 did for iPhone apps on iPads.

Oct 29, 2018 10:33 PM in response to rejuvtech2

If you your Instagram was displaying at full screen prior to the update it is NOT a problem with the Instagram App. As usual, Apple has screwed up AGAIN and sent us crap. I’ve HAD IT with Apple and these downloads. Who in God’s name is putting together these updates, and better yet, where is their quality control. Surely they have someone test every aspect of the update prior to release, and what effect it will have on iPhones and iPads.

I was very wary of downloading this last update, but my iPad and iPhone seem to run really slow the longer I ignore the updates. The same thing happens to my husband. So I went ahead after backing up everything on my hard drive. now this problem. I’ve been a loyal Apple customer for years, but I’m SERIOUSLY considering changing to an Android when my term is up. Apple brag about their “Genius Bar,” but their geniuses have lost their edge.

Nov 7, 2018 3:54 PM in response to markfromfeltham

I'm afraid there is no fix for this issue. It was introduced with IOS12, where apple changed how they resize iPhone apps running on iPads. This applies to all iPhone apps on iPad, not just Instagram.

The only way forward is to encourage Instagram to create an iPad version of application.

Or, hassle Apple to change how they resize iPhone apps on iPad back to how it was handled prior to IOS12.

Nov 16, 2018 5:24 PM in response to markfromfeltham

I have the same problem, as well as others after the update. I deleted the app, downloaded it again,restarted my iPad, and still not taking up the full screen like it did before the update. Also emailed Instagram support, and no response.

Must have To do with the iOS 12.1 update, as I have numerous issues since the update, could not sign into my email accounts, was getting prompted to update password, had to change all passwords, and iPad constantly loosing WiFi connection. Regretting the update, had everything working great before...big disapointment.

Nov 30, 2018 7:06 PM in response to Hill2valley

This is called the "Mandela Effect", for some reason everybody remember using the app in "Full Screen" but it always been like it is today, Full Screen with black bars on the sides and YES, if you tap the arrows will make it smaller that is because you already have it in "full screen". The app was created for the iPhone NOT for the iPad.

Instagram not taking up full screen after iOS 12 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.