Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 Mail "Notifications Grouping"

Hi,

So I have a clean install of iOS 12 on an iPhone 7 & iPhone SE. Now I have issues with the "Notications grouping" using the stock Mail app.

Apparently there's no way to change/disable "Notifications grouping" with only 1 Mailaccount added, this option only becomes visible after adding a 2nd Mailaccount.

Also, I don't want message previews on my lockscreen so when I set message previews to "Never" for my 2 Mailaccounts, it breaks the "Notifications grouping" when enabled. After receiving multiple mails, there is only 1 lockscreen notification visible per Mailaccount (and it's not even stacked). It justs shows the sender of the last received mail and a subtext which says "X mail messages".

When I set "Notifications grouping" for Mail to "Off", the lockscreen notifications were visible as seperate notifications but not showing correct the sender on some of these notifications. Some of them re-use sender names from others mails.

After full reset on devices, same issue remains. Are there any other people with the same issue?

Screenshot with previews & Notifications grouping enabled

OK - works as it should (stacked)

User uploaded file

Screenshot with previews disabled & Notifications grouping enabled (Automatic)

NOK - groups mail notifications in a non stacking way with only displaying the sender name of last message

User uploaded file

Screenshot with both previews & Notifications grouping disabled (iOS 11 style)

NOK - doesn't work at all, just uses random sender names

User uploaded file

iPhone 7, iOS 12, null

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 11:29 PM

I think this image below is how it should be if the bug was not there. (Sorry for the worst Photoshop job ever)

Mailnotifications with preview disabled should show the sender & just "Mail message" (like it was in iOS 11) + stack all the other mails underneath.

Previews for Mailaccounts disabled (set to "Never") & "Notifications grouping" enabled ("Automatic")

User uploaded file

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2018 11:29 PM in response to Kevin_D_BE

I think this image below is how it should be if the bug was not there. (Sorry for the worst Photoshop job ever)

Mailnotifications with preview disabled should show the sender & just "Mail message" (like it was in iOS 11) + stack all the other mails underneath.

Previews for Mailaccounts disabled (set to "Never") & "Notifications grouping" enabled ("Automatic")

User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Kevin_D_BE

Kevin, I'm with you. This change in Notifications and failure to allow it to revert to iOS 11 style is unfortunate.

I have 2 mail accounts that Previews are always "When Unlocked"—personal accounts—and 1 account that Previews are always enabled—work account.

It seems to group and stack notifications always, even though Grouping is disabled for the Mail App and almost every other App individually.

I haven't tried to completely disable Previews yet to see the change in behavior.

When the phone is unlocked, it does seem to ungroup the email messages.

I'm setting the Previews to "Never" to see if that changes anything.

Sep 27, 2018 7:20 AM in response to Kevin_D_BE

So, it's definitely related to Previews. With Previews set to "Never" for my personal email accounts, it shows up like you posted. With Previews set to "Always", each email account is stacked and if you tap on the stack individual messages will be shown.

Basically, the Mail app seems to group Notifications as a default behavior and the Notifications Setting has no or limited ability to change the behavior. : (

Oct 18, 2018 9:02 PM in response to Kevin_D_BE

I’ve had this issue ever since I upgraded To iOS 12. And I’ve been talking to an Apple Senior Advisor for two weeks and they just keep telling me that I have turn it off in Notification, but I keep telling them that IT IS turned off there. i don’t think the Previews makes a difference because mine is set to “Previews Only When Unlocked”. This is driving me nuts, but also because now my Series 2 Watch won’t notify me of emails ever since I updated my Watch Software. So now they’re trying to tell me that both my devices (iPhone X and Series 2 Watch) need to be “repaired” even though I had absolutely NO issues before I did the Software Updates. The other strange thing is that it’s ONLY with the Mail App. No other apps have been affected by this.

iOS 12 Mail "Notifications Grouping"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.