Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silverlight not Supported in Safari 12.0

Hi, here in the UK Virgin Media is one of the main TV providers. And their web streaming service uses Silverlight (which is a safari extension). But after updating to Safari 12.0 the extension seems to have gone and after repeatedly reinstalling it seems to not be appearing. Does anyone know a work around for this as the "run in safe mode" option is no longer available in 12.0 (Microsoft Article)?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 12:23 PM

We debated trying to recover back to a pre-update TimeMachine backup, but both of these workstations do other tasks, so the issue was then copying what needs to be kept, etc.

FWIW, i found the SeaMonkey browser (built off of the Mozilla Gecko engine) and it is working far so well.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Other that having to allow it to launch via System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> "Allow" it is working well with Silverlight.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2018 12:23 PM in response to alison130

We debated trying to recover back to a pre-update TimeMachine backup, but both of these workstations do other tasks, so the issue was then copying what needs to be kept, etc.

FWIW, i found the SeaMonkey browser (built off of the Mozilla Gecko engine) and it is working far so well.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Other that having to allow it to launch via System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> "Allow" it is working well with Silverlight.

Sep 18, 2018 11:50 AM in response to ted.underhill

I suspect the issue stems from this item that isn't seen unless you expand the Safari 12.0 update in the app store: "Improves security by discontinuing support for most NPAPI plugins". I'd wager that Microsoft Silverlight is an NPAPI plugin which explains why it no longer works.

After a bunch of work in the recovery console I was able to get 11.1.2 back up and running which restored Silverlight. However, I now get a frequent crash popup for "SafariBookmarksSyncAgent" quitting unexpectedly. While annoying, I don't use safari bookmarks, no less require them to be synchronized anywhere so I'll just move that popup window into the bottom corner of my screen and ignore it after each reboot. Super annoying, but at least I got the plugin back for now.

I've also reported this issue and thread to Apple's senior advisors in the hopes they can get some engineering eyeballs on it. However, I suspect they are going to say this is now Microsoft's responsibility to update Silverlight to not be an NPAPI plugin.

Sep 18, 2018 4:15 PM in response to Hijodejehova

Please stop spreading incorrect information. First of all, the latest version of High Sierra is 10.13.6, not 10.13.1. And second of all, Safari version 12.0 has removed support for NPAPI plugins. This means Microsoft Silverlight will not work regardless of what version of macOS you are running so long as you are running Safari version 12.0 or greater.

Sep 18, 2018 6:03 PM in response to ted.underhill

ted.underhill wrote:

The most surprising part of this reply is learning that Netflix is using Silverlight to deliver content over the web.

Indeed, particularly given this from Wikipedia's article on Silverlight:

Silverlight was also used by Amazon Video and Netflix for their instant video streaming services, but Netflix said in its Tech Blog in 2013 that, since Microsoft had announced Silverlight's end-of-life, they would be moving to HTML5 video.

Chrome & Firefox have both dropped support for Silverlight. Strange that it has worked in Safari for so long, and that Netflix et al haven't already moved on. I get a weird error code trying to access Netflix in Safari 12 here, plus references to HDCP, but it works perfectly in Chrome on the same machine. 😕

tt2

Sep 19, 2018 4:39 PM in response to alison130

I spoke with both Apple & Netflix last night. Apple says they gave Netflix & Microsoft plenty of time during the beta period to figure out how to make things work. Netflix says to use another browser. It seems few people, including Netflix support, realizes that Chrome & Firefox stream Netflix at 720p - Safari was the only way to get 1080p.

Is there a way to force Safari/Netflix to use HTML5 rather than Silverlight?

Sep 20, 2018 3:50 PM in response to ted.underhill

I found the answer to my HTML5 issue. Since Silverlight is a blocked plugin, the browser should default to HTML5, but it does not. The reason, as I've figured out, is that Apple uses the hardware API, so h.264 video decoding is done in hardware (the CPU), rather than software. Chrome & Firefox use the software API, so video decoding is done in software. Well, lucky me, still hanging onto my old 2010 Mac Pro with Westmere XEON's, which don't have h.264 decoding in the CPU. This was introduced in 2011's Sandy Bridge architecture. SO, if you have anything older than 2011-2012, no HTML5 Netflix decoding.

Sep 24, 2018 11:48 AM in response to alison130

I have a work-around: Download the free SeaMonkey browser and use it to access sites that use/require Silverlight. I did this today and it works fine.

The version I got is: SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (The SeaMonkey® Project)

The macOS version I am on is: macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Hope that helps --

UPDATE: I just realised that the communities page I was looking at did not show me all replies, just the "most helpful" and at on September 18th onc_photo had already suggested this work around! I wish I noticed that earlier as it would have saved me an hour or so... !

Silverlight not Supported in Safari 12.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.