Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Restarting Randomly after iOS 12 Update

My iPhone X is restarting itself at random intervals ever since updating to iOS 12. Must have restarted itself 6-8 times in the last couple of hours. This can't be good. Any ideas?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 7:10 PM

Hello SK8TRBOI,

Thanks for trying our steps. Yes, since you received the alert "Update not possible, you need to Restore iPhone", you will need to follow the steps provided in this article and choose "Restore": If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. This will erase the device, and set it up as a new device. Once completed, you can set up your device again using the steps in this help article: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it fails again, I recommend contacting AppleCare as the article states:

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2018 7:10 PM in response to SK8TRBOI

Hello SK8TRBOI,

Thanks for trying our steps. Yes, since you received the alert "Update not possible, you need to Restore iPhone", you will need to follow the steps provided in this article and choose "Restore": If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. This will erase the device, and set it up as a new device. Once completed, you can set up your device again using the steps in this help article: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it fails again, I recommend contacting AppleCare as the article states:

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Sep 22, 2018 7:10 PM in response to SK8TRBOI

Hello SK8TRBOI,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your iPhone restarting. Since this started after upgrading to iOS 12, I recommend reinstalling the iOS using iTunes.

The reason we need to use iTunes for this step is to get a new copy of iOS installed to your device. Please make a backup of your data prior to doing this step. You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Once your data is backed up, you can reinstall the iOS using this help article: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4 which says:

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

Once your iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue is still occurring. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Sep 20, 2018 6:29 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the instructions. I did the update through iTunes and it appeared to successfully download and install the OS to my phone. But...my iPhone X is still randomly restarting itself.

During the process, I did get an error msg that stated "Update not possible, you need to Restore iPhone". But again, even after continuing, iTunes appeared to download a ~3.5GB files and it did install the OS. After all of that, I restored from the backup I made.

Perhaps I should go through the process again, but this time set it up as a "New iPhone"? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

iPhone X Restarting Randomly after iOS 12 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.