Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice memos is not saved after i done recording

Hello, i've been searching for this problem but i didn't find any solutions. There are only an unanswered one.

So, i have an iphone x with the new ios 12 installed on it last night. This morning i had an interview class with my lecturer about my thesis. To make it easier for me to takes on every word he says, i choose to record it on the voice memos. I already test it first and it records. After that i pressed the red button and begin recording session, it did shows the recording process with the sound graph or something like that (sorry i didn't know how to called it). After like 57 minutes i done my interview, when i pressed the done button it just bring me to the voice memos and it didn't show the recording i just made. But, when i try to search on the home screen (that one when u swipe to the right and type on the search box) it shows my last already made recording with the correct voice memos names but it didn't show up on the voice memos apps. How can i recover that lost voice memos when i can still search the correct name and it still shows up the memos ?

I try to describe as specific as possible, because i hope i can recover that voice memos because it is really a very very important one. I made this communities support account just for this just to let you know.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 9:23 PM

They ARE saved! Open the memos app. When you open it, see the left side bar? That is where they are saved.

you can rename them.

the first 24 hours it will reflect the time that it was recorded. After that, it will reflect the date. If you need to remember both the time and date, I suggest you name it some like “ work: 10.15.18/ 1:15 PM “

here is a screenshot. Hope this helps. I’ve renamed mine “ address” as it’s an address I need for tomorrow.

User uploaded file

167 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2018 9:23 PM in response to fiqririhyawan

They ARE saved! Open the memos app. When you open it, see the left side bar? That is where they are saved.

you can rename them.

the first 24 hours it will reflect the time that it was recorded. After that, it will reflect the date. If you need to remember both the time and date, I suggest you name it some like “ work: 10.15.18/ 1:15 PM “

here is a screenshot. Hope this helps. I’ve renamed mine “ address” as it’s an address I need for tomorrow.

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2018 9:11 PM in response to fiqririhyawan

Close the app after recording by swiping up to show the missing button then click done. After that and hour recording will take 5 to 10 minutes to show up. I don't know why Apple doesn't fix this and why is the swipe up near the start and stop record button? Have you also see the zoom bug in Safari yet? It has been here for about 3 years!!!!! https://a4jp.com/info.html

Oct 18, 2018 2:50 AM in response to IphoneXCarina

I already moved on, because i try almost everything possible. From restarting app, hard restart, trying to see from iTunes, etc. Nothings works. For me, the first thing i notice when the problem occurs is when the voice memos app crashing, or running in the background and suddenly the recording icon on the top left disappear. Just make sure, whenever possible do 5 - 10 times trials of recording for 5 - 10 seconds, and also don't run it on the background. Disable the auto-lock on the settings so the phone screen will still turned on. This may prevent further crashes. I'm doing the follow up interview for my thesis and by doing what I just mention, I always successfully record voice memos. This is just ridiculous that apple didn't solve any of this problems.

Oct 21, 2018 3:38 PM in response to Cåts

Don’t think you understanding the issue. We know where saved voice memos are. We can see some saved ones that have no issues. We can’t see some that we clicked on ‘done’ and for some reason is not showing up in the voice memos app. The voice memo app is buggy on iOS 12 even after updating to iOS 12.0.1. However when we search for the missing memo from the home screen using the name/number of the recording; it shows up as a search result but nothing in the app. In fact when recording a new voice memo, it’s skips the voice memo number that’s ‘missing’ and assigns the number after that.

Oct 24, 2018 5:40 PM in response to navlag

Someone mentioned elsewhere of a work around.

they said to enable “add to notes “ button, which adds the voice memo to a note, and that can be backed up to iCloud.

* keep in mind that I’m not experiencing this problem with voice memo, so I am just passing this along to you hoping that it will help somebody.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 25, 2018 12:08 PM in response to IphoneXCarina

I'm sorry, I'll try to be more clear:

First, go to iCloud (in settings, click your name, iCloud opens and you see this list here:

In the list, see I have notes showing and green. Tick notes to make it green.

User uploaded file

Next: You make your voice memo. Then you see this :

Click the square with arrow (share) button AFTER you've made a voice memo.

User uploaded file

After you click that *above screenshot*, this window appears below:

User uploaded file

You will click "save" and it will save to notes and you can access Voice Memos by signing into iCloud.com to retrieve your notes.

*I am not certain it will work for older Voice Memos. But you can try it when you search for older Voice Memos and see if that works with them as well. I hope this made sense.

Nov 18, 2018 7:34 PM in response to numerik

I'm glad iMazing has been a useful fix for some folks! Unfortunately it appears that I'm in the "file was never saved in the first place" group. Like others, "New Recording 4" shows up if I search but is not listed in the Voice Memos app, either on my phone (where I made the recording), or my laptop (which is connected via iCloud).

I'm really disappointed that I can't access the hour-long recording I made this afternoon. (I'm still hoping against hope that it's not *lost* lost.) Before coming to this thread it hadn't occurred to me how many people rely on the voice record tool in their work. My sympathies to anyone who has lost a recording of serious professional or personal consequence.

User uploaded file

Oct 19, 2018 12:15 AM in response to IphoneXCarina

I think this will only work within the first month after losing it. It assumes your recording is in your trash, which is the default location Voice Memos places it. The problem is, the trash isn't accessible from the app, so you have to get there in a roundabout way. Here's what to do:

1. Create a new recording, name it something like "Recovery" or anything a bit unique.
  2. Delete the new recording.
  3. Press the home button to hide the Voice Memos app and get to the springboard.
  4. From the springboard, swipe down from anywhere near the center to bring up the search.
  5. Search for "Recovery" or whatev.
  6. The search will bring up the recording you just deleted. Tap it to be taken to the Voice Memo trash can.
  7. Recover your lost recording.

Hope this helps…enjoy! 😉

– Yuri

Voice memos is not saved after i done recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.