Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 4,1–>5,1 — Anything I Should Be Wary Of?

Looking forward to upgrading the firmware to 5,1 but I’m concerned I may be overlooking some potential issues I may run into when updating.

Some system info: macOS 10.11.6 with a flashed GTX 980 Ti from MacVidCards. Four drives total, of of which are SSD, and one of which is PCI-e-based (not the main drive). Main drive has a boot camp partition running Windows 8.1.

Could anything listed here negatively affect the firmware update?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 3:27 PM

No one has reported any problems with it. So far it is thought to be benign, and backward compatible. The only possible issue might be if you previously installed the wrong Wi-Fi card.

Apple does not support doing that upgrade, so you are on your own.

The subsequent firmware upgrade required for High Sierra appears to require an Apple-firmware graphics card. No reports in either direction about whether a MacVidCards flashed card is sufficient.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2018 3:27 PM in response to kingseamus

No one has reported any problems with it. So far it is thought to be benign, and backward compatible. The only possible issue might be if you previously installed the wrong Wi-Fi card.

Apple does not support doing that upgrade, so you are on your own.

The subsequent firmware upgrade required for High Sierra appears to require an Apple-firmware graphics card. No reports in either direction about whether a MacVidCards flashed card is sufficient.

Sep 20, 2018 8:29 AM in response to kingseamus

All reports I have seen suggest that once a MacPro4,1 has had the 5,1 firmware installed it will behave just like a genuine 5,1 and this includes esoteric things like CPU chip upgrades.

The one thing I can see to still be concerned with is that the MacPro4,1 as standard uses 'lidless' Intel Xeon chips and not the lidded CPU chips used in the 5,1. Being lidless in the 4,1 they are not as 'tall' as the lidded chips used in the 5,1. So if you tried fitting a faster lidded chip in your 4,1 which would be possible now you have the 5,1 firmware you need to be very careful not to tighten the screws of the heatsink as much so as to avoid crushing the taller/thicker chips. (Theoretically you could remove the 'lids' but this is a very fiddly/difficult task.)

Regarding WiFi as mentioned by Grant, the 4,1 and 5,1 use the same Apple WiFi cards. As a result the same unofficial WiFi card upgrade is possible to add 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0LE support. See - https://www.osxwifi.com/product/mac-pro-2009-41-and-mac-pro-2010-2012-51-apple-b roadcom-bcm94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-wit…

Since it is the same upgrade for both a 4,1 and a 5,1 I see no issues. Even if you had used a different type of upgrade e.g. a PCIe card or a USB adapter these would behave identically in both a 4,1 and 5,1 model and the only issue with them over the above osxwifi upgrade is that they might need newer drivers if you upgrade to a newer version of macOS.

Mac Pro 4,1–>5,1 — Anything I Should Be Wary Of?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.