Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is walkie talkie icon flashing intermittently on watch face

I have added two people to walkie talkie and have successfully communicated with them. However, on my watch face at top where I receive notifications the walkie talkie icon intermittently flashes. Is this normal? Isn't this an unnecessary drain on the battery?

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 1:39 PM

The flashing icon at the top gives you a reminder that your Walkie Talkie mode is on. That means you could be interrupted at anytime with somebody sending you a voice walkie-talkie. If you set it to do not disturb inside the walkie-talkie app that flashing will not occur and you will not be in Walkie Talkie mode where you can be reached. So the flashing I can just serves as a reminder that Walkie Talkie mode is active.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 1:39 PM in response to BevL

The flashing icon at the top gives you a reminder that your Walkie Talkie mode is on. That means you could be interrupted at anytime with somebody sending you a voice walkie-talkie. If you set it to do not disturb inside the walkie-talkie app that flashing will not occur and you will not be in Walkie Talkie mode where you can be reached. So the flashing I can just serves as a reminder that Walkie Talkie mode is active.

Sep 20, 2018 7:36 AM in response to rarmellini

You have a point here. I've tried several scenarios to make the Walkie Talkie app a "Active" app - including initiating a conversation - and it only flashes then disappears.

This could be a functional bug.

I do appreciate the indication that "available" setting is set causing the flashing icon. Not sure how they will address this conflict; it might be confusing to have a solid icon indicating that the Walkie Talkie app is active, but your "available" setting is turned off.

Heres a good list of icons and meanings etc.

Status icons and symbols on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 19, 2018 5:17 PM in response to BevL

I do would like to know!

However today mine was solid, not blinking. I didn’t think about hitting it to open the App, since I have a shortcut at the bottom of my watch. But I did notice that when it was lit up solid not blinking, the service was better for me using the walkie.

So I kind of feel like the yellow walkie symbol could be service related possibly...

The walkie does seem to be buggy and not always working properly.. but what can you expect it’s only been 3 days and bugs will be worked out!

Sep 20, 2018 11:30 AM in response to rarmellini

Noticed today, mine only seem to be solid in one spot at work and I mean one spot!

But blinking does appear regularly..

Wife had issues with hers yesterday and restarting the watch alone did not help, we had to restart the phone as well.. all hard resets a simple power off didn’t help the situation. Once that was done her walkie was all good again!

We also use Series 1 Watches..

Sep 26, 2018 8:56 PM in response to BevL

Well I’m my situation it was flashing when I was waiting for a contact to confirm. Once confirmed it stopped flashing.

Word of of caution leaving it on drains the battery as it went down to 15% in less than 12 hours. Turning it off now gives me a day and half. To turn it off, open it and find a contact slide from top down and turn off the available. Not worth having it and causing big battery drain

Nov 9, 2018 2:04 PM in response to rarmellini

I assume you have the "Notifications Indicator" turned off in your watch settings.

Try pulling down from the top of the watch to see your notifications and then force-pressing to clear all notifications. Once you do that, your yellow dot should stay on all of the time.

With the Notifications Indicator setting turned "on" and there are waiting notifications, the yellow dot shows for a second and then is replaced by the red dot as you'd expect. However, when the Indicator setting is "off" and there are notifications waiting, the yellow dot shows for a second and is replaced by a black dot instead. So, it seems that the "Notifications Indicator" setting doesn't REALLY turn off the notifications so much as make the red dot black.

Why is walkie talkie icon flashing intermittently on watch face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.