Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp with Windows 10 claims Secure Boot enabled, prevents boot drive configuration changes

My understanding is that Secure Boot is not enabled in a Windows boot camp install, however the errors I get when installing an app are consistent with problems with the Secure Boot being enabled (eg the most obvious is from the command line during boot drive config "An error has occurred setting the element data. The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted" but Secure Boot is inaccessible with a boot camp as far as I can tell, so if it is enabled, there does not appear anyway to shut this off.

So, work computer, needs various levels of security and various oddball programs on it, so installing even in a native Windows environment involves a lot of multi-step "disable this / suspend that, install, restart, re-enable, restart" nonsense. However, as the resident champion of the dual boot mac machines, I've overcome every other serpentine install or settings requirement, but this one has completely beaten me and I've got no idea how to proceed. So, am I dead in the water here and trading in this shiny Mac for a Windows native machine or is there something I'm missing? Any insight is appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Boot Camp with Windows 10

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:44 AM

You may want to set the level before you switch to Bootcamp and then try to install the problematic application(s).

See About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support for reference.

Similar questions

2 replies

Bootcamp with Windows 10 claims Secure Boot enabled, prevents boot drive configuration changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.