Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set priority for joining wifi networks

Is there a way to set priorities for joining WiFi networks?

I work in a home office. There is an old Apple Airport at the far end of the house from my office.

And there is a new, high-speed whiz-bang WiFi router in my office about 10 feet from my Mac. The signal from the Airport is very weak and the connection to it is slow.

Every time my Mac wakes up, it connects to the Airport at the far end of the house.

I don't want to remove the Airport from "remembered" WiFi access points, because sometimes I go down to the living room to work, and when I do that I want to connect to the Airport.

If the Mac detects both WiFi access points, I would like it to join the new router by default. (Or, better yet - if possible, connect to the router that has the strongest signal.)

Looking forward to suggestions!!

Thanks

Clint

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 5:00 PM

In network preferences move the preferred wifi network to the top of the list or at least above the non-preferred wifi network. The computer will then attempt to connect to your preferred wifi network before the non-preferred wifi network.

2 replies

Set priority for joining wifi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.