Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet to Airport crashes network

I have a Time Capsule that I utilize as my main router. This is extended with an Airport Express on the other side of the house, an Airpot Extreme in the garage and another Airport Express back in a quest house, all wirelessly. The Airport Express in the guest house receives a poor wireless signal and internet access is very slow. I ran an ethernet cable from my router directly to the Airport Express in the guest house. When I plug that cable into the Airport Express, it basically crashes the network, to the point where I have to reboot my router and occasionally my modem as well. This happens if I try the Airport Extreme with the cable as we..

I know that the signal is good. If I bring my computer back there and connect through the ethernet cable, I get speeds similar to if I was sitting next to my main router.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 7:47 PM

When I plug that cable into the Airport Express, it basically crashes the network, to the point where I have to reboot my router and occasionally my modem as well. This happens if I try the Airport Extreme with the cable as we..

The AirPort Express was originally configured to "extend a wireless network", meaning that it was set up to connect to the Time Capsule using a wireless connection.

When you connect an Ethernet cable to the AirPort Express.......which you set up to expect a wireless connection from the Time Capsule.......the Express now "sees" two different connections......wireless and wired. This results in a huge feedback loop that continues to feedback on itself and effectively crashes the network.

The solution is to start over and configure the Express to "extend using Ethernet", so that the correct settings will be applied to the Express for an Ethernet connection. Here's how:

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Express if it is still connected

Power up the Express and let it run for a minute or two....if it is not already on

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express.....if your Express has two ports. Otherwise, simply connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port

We will first assume that you have a Mac, so the setup will look like this.....

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express under that listing

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". It will take the wizard a few seconds to analyze the network and new AirPort so that it will provide the correct settings for the Express. A window that looks similar to the illustration below will appear, except that you will see your devices pictured

User uploaded file

Type in a device name that you want to call the AirPort Express

Click Next

Now watch the next screen very carefully to make sure the Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the setup wizard has detected the wired Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and AirPort Express and the correct settings will be applied to the Express

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. Assuming that your Ethernet cabling and Ethernet connections are working correctly, you are now done.

If you prefer to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup.....

Go go the Home Screen on the iOS device

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Tap on AirPort Express under the listing of Setup New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

If you are the curious type and want to take a look at the settings that the wizard has applied to the Express, you can use AirPort Utility to see the settings. You may be surprised when you see how the Express has actually been configured.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 7:47 PM in response to bhorowitz

When I plug that cable into the Airport Express, it basically crashes the network, to the point where I have to reboot my router and occasionally my modem as well. This happens if I try the Airport Extreme with the cable as we..

The AirPort Express was originally configured to "extend a wireless network", meaning that it was set up to connect to the Time Capsule using a wireless connection.

When you connect an Ethernet cable to the AirPort Express.......which you set up to expect a wireless connection from the Time Capsule.......the Express now "sees" two different connections......wireless and wired. This results in a huge feedback loop that continues to feedback on itself and effectively crashes the network.

The solution is to start over and configure the Express to "extend using Ethernet", so that the correct settings will be applied to the Express for an Ethernet connection. Here's how:

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Express if it is still connected

Power up the Express and let it run for a minute or two....if it is not already on

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express.....if your Express has two ports. Otherwise, simply connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port

We will first assume that you have a Mac, so the setup will look like this.....

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express under that listing

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". It will take the wizard a few seconds to analyze the network and new AirPort so that it will provide the correct settings for the Express. A window that looks similar to the illustration below will appear, except that you will see your devices pictured

User uploaded file

Type in a device name that you want to call the AirPort Express

Click Next

Now watch the next screen very carefully to make sure the Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the setup wizard has detected the wired Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and AirPort Express and the correct settings will be applied to the Express

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. Assuming that your Ethernet cabling and Ethernet connections are working correctly, you are now done.

If you prefer to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup.....

Go go the Home Screen on the iOS device

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Tap on AirPort Express under the listing of Setup New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

If you are the curious type and want to take a look at the settings that the wizard has applied to the Express, you can use AirPort Utility to see the settings. You may be surprised when you see how the Express has actually been configured.

Sep 20, 2018 8:27 PM in response to bhorowitz

Extend using Ethernet only appears in the AirPort Utility setup "wizard".....iF.....you start from a factory default condition on the AirPort device.....AND.....you have established the Ethernet connection.....BEFORE.....you run the setup wizard.

That way, the wizard will detect the Ethernet connection between the AirPort routers and apply the correct settings for an Ethernet connection.

If the Ethernet cable is not connected before you run the setup, then the wizard will assume that you want to connect the Express using wireless, and apply the correct settings for a wireless connection.

The actual setting to "extend using Ethernet" does not appear in the regular AirPort Utility though. So, if you were curious and checked the actual setting that was applied to the AirPort Express, you would see that the setting for the Express is now "create a wireless network" that uses the same name and password as your "main" AirPort router.

Sep 21, 2018 9:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for this additional info. After following your steps, I did look at the Express in Airport Utility and saw the 'Create a Wireless Network', I changed it to extend and couldn't figure out why it didn't work until I saw this follow up post from you. All is good now. Same speed as sitting next to my router at a distance of 150' or so.

Now that this works, can I extend from this Express to another Express with Ethernet, plugging into the Ethernet 'out' port, and follow the same set up, or do I need a dedicated separate line from my router?

Sep 21, 2018 10:19 AM in response to bhorowitz

can I extend from this Express to another Express with Ethernet, plugging into the Ethernet 'out' port, and follow the same set up

Yes, but a better setup would be to connect the Ethernet cable from the Time Capsule to an Ethernet switch, then connect each Express to the switch.

Reason.....if you connect the second Express directly to the first Express, and the first Express has a problem, then the second Express will also likely have a problem.

If you connect each Express to an Ethernet switch, then the first Express might have an issue, but that will not affect the second Express.

Ethernet switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port, etc versions. Buy a switch that will leave a few open Ethernet ports, since the ports have a way of filling up faster than you might plan.

Gigabit Ethernet switches are available from any computer/electronics superstore or online as well.

Ethernet to Airport crashes network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.