You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 Bluetooth Uconnect issue

I updated my iPhone 7 to iOS 12, and immediately noticed that there is now a significant lag in song selection when connected to bluetooth in my car's Uconnect head unit. When a new song plays, the song run time is frozen for exactly 30 seconds while the song plays. If I try to toggle next/last track selection using the car's audio controls during this time, nothing happens until the 30 seconds pass, then it changes to the next song. It happens very consistently now with every new song that plays. Also, during some songs it'll do this freeze for 30 seconds where song navigation won't trigger.

Can't overstate how annoying this is. Has anyone else experienced this?

iPhone 7, iOS 12, '16 Charger Uconnect NAV head unit.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 7:41 PM

199 replies

Oct 31, 2018 3:14 AM in response to njeske

So... mixed results for me. Here's the breakdown:

• Updated my iPhone while at work.
  • Got in my car for my 1-Hr commute home.
  • First track comes on and it's a comedy track. I let it play for a minute and then hit next/skip on the steering wheel... *wait*... *wait*... *wait*... okay, I guess the lag is still here - "Oh, well...!"
  • So I get on the road and for the ENTIRE remainder of my +1 hour commute, it did **NOT** lag anymore. EVERY track-skip worked just fine... for a whole hour... I kept trying it, maybe 50-60 times total just to keep testing it - maybe ONCE it lagged for a full second, but otherwise VERY responsive.
    AWESOME!
  • I stop to gas-up right around the corner from my house - so, car is turned off.
  • I get back in and pull out of gas station. Don't like the song that's on. Hit track-skip. *wait*... *wait*... *wait*... Okay... maybe it's an issue within the first several minutes of startup.
  • I am at the light waiting for the green. Try skipping the tracks a few more times, and now it's about a 50/50 shot... sometimes instant, sometimes lag of up to 15-20 seconds.
  • I get home, so no more testing.
  • This morning's commute: I get in the car... let the song that's playing play for a couple minutes before trying to "skip". Press the track-skip button on the steering wheel and... *wait*... *wait*... *wait*... (sigh).

Basically, my commute was similar to the tail-end of yesterday... about 60%-70% of the time, it skips to next track fairly quickly... but the remaining 30%-40% it lags anywhere between 5 seconds and as long as a full minute.

Apparently that 1-hour span of responsiveness was the fluke.

So, we wait for the next iOS update, I guess. 😀

Jan 8, 2019 10:23 AM in response to nfolkmann

@nfolkmann

Have you tried:

1. Tap Media on the screen
  2. Tap on the Phone or Climate icon (i use Phone since it shows the song that's playing at the top)
  3. Wait for music to start
  4. Try changing songs using hands free controls on steering wheel.

For me this has no delay when switching songs. If I go back to media screen, things get delayed again, etc. But I can go back to the Phone icon, wait 1 minute then I can change songs with steering wheel with no delay. Since I shut the vehicle off while listening to Media and on the Phone screen. When I turn the vehicle back the music starts playing automatically and I can control it with steering wheel without delay.

Sep 24, 2018 6:57 AM in response to JoMo45

I also have this issue and unlike other "solutions" provided out there that talk about rebooting the phone and resetting Bluetooth, I found that it is *NOT* a phone-specific issue. I made the mistake of updating my iPhone 8-Plus to iOS 12 when it came out, EVEN THOUGH I knew my iPhone XS was arriving that very same Friday.

As soon as I updated my 8+, I was having Bluetooth issues. Song/track skipping could take up to 45(or more) seconds... the voice prompts from Siri seem to have bad audio quality as if the signal was poor or dropping... also, need to repeatedly connect MANUALLY to get my audio to work when I get in the car.

I was HOPING this would go away when my NEW iPhone XS arrived... but as you can predict; NOPE! I am still having this issue. It is extremely frustrating having to constantly re-connect the phone manually in UConnect and to wait for song skipping for LONG periods of time. The commonality is iOS 12.

Sep 26, 2018 10:36 AM in response to jchx66

SOOOoooo... here's the interesting part.

On this-morning's commute... it did *NOT* go to sleep on me.

The whole commute, it stayed open. I did *NOT* have the screen-lock set to "never"... it was set to 1-minute. The only thing(s) different from yesterday and today is that I played-around with the lock settings... but ultimately went BACK to my 1-min selection. Curious if just the simple ACT of changing the setting and changing it BACK did it...? or if it's something ENTIRELY different... dunno.

Either way... it worked "as expected" for this morning's commute. Go figure, right...?

Sep 27, 2018 2:58 PM in response to JoMo45

I've been having this issue for the last couple of months, ever since iOS 12 Public Beta 4 or 5 on my iPhone 8 started doing this in my '16 Ram Rebel. On my iPhone 8, I tried forgetting the bluetooth connection on both the phone and UConnect, and doing a factory reset of UConnect, but neither of those things helped. I also updated my UConnect system to the most recent release that came out a few weeks ago while I was still using my iPhone 8, butthat didn't fix it either. I thought it might get fixed once I got my iPhone XS today, but it's having the same problem in my truck. Once again, redid the bluetooth connection from scratch, and then tried a factory reset of UConnect. No luck. Hopefully someone can figure this one out quick because it's incredibly irritating to have to change tracks from my phone's lock screen instead of being able to use the steering wheel controls. Changing tracks from the phone's lock screen, or from the music controls on my Garmin watch works just fine, but the UConnect screen and controls still lock up until the song I stop on has played for 30-35 seconds.

iPhone 8 with iOS 12

iPhone Xs with iOS 12.1 Beta 1

2016 Ram 1500 Rebel with UConnect 8.4 w/ Navigation

Oct 3, 2018 2:18 PM in response to JoMo45

I also have these issues. 2013 Ram 1500 with up to date Uconnect software. Following an installation of iOS 12 I have found that music tracks randomly skip while connected to the Uconnect system through Bluetooth. Podcasts played in the Apple Podcast app also are experiencing an issue where after some variable period of time the podcast skips back to the beginning and starts playback or sits idle. I have also seen this occur with Audible playback while connected to the Uconnect system. This issue was not present until updating my iPhone X to iOS 12. Using Bluetooth connection through AirPods has not yielded any of these issues with either music, podcasts or audio book playback. The problem seems limited to the Bluetooth connection with Uconnect. Based upon other comments in this forum string it seems highly probable that the iOS update is the root cause of the issue. Hopefully Apple gets the message and puts a fix in the works soon. It is very distracting to have this happen while driving which I’m sure we are all trying to avoid by using these products.

Oct 5, 2018 7:15 PM in response to JoMo45

I have the SAME issues now after updating to IOS 12 in my Jeep too. First 30 seconds of the song freeze up, driving me crazy. I took my old galaxy out and hooked it up via Bluetooth today and no issues, worked perfectly smooth. It’s definitely related to the apple update. I hope they find a remedy fast for this

iOS 12 Bluetooth Uconnect issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.