Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won’t boot up

I was using my iMac the other day when it suddenly froze. I held down the power button and it turned off. I hit the power button again and the chime sounded like normal. The screen that came up was the Apple logo and a loading bar appeared. It got all the way to the end and then nothing. The bar was full but nothing was happening. I left it on for a couple of hours but still nothing. So I held the power button again and restarted the iMac. Nothing. Everytime I did that the loading bar would fill up and stay like that. I attempted to press command and P to start the UtI tilt screen. It worked but now when I start the iMac it goes directly to the Utility page. I’ve attempted to re-install High Sierra as it is one of the options, but when I get to the part where I have to select a drive, I click on the iMac drive but a little message pops up saying that it’s locked. I’m stuck. If there is anything I can do to fix it, please help. Otherwise I’ll have to take it to get fixed.

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:25 PM

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

If the above does not help, then try this:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 9:25 PM in response to Mr. Echo

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

If the above does not help, then try this:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Sep 20, 2018 9:22 PM in response to Mr. Echo

Your description is consistent with a failed HD. Try the following before taking it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be repaired.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If neither work, my hunch may be correct however the only way to tell is to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed and repaired.

Good luck.

iMac won’t boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.