Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max and iTunes

Got my new phone today. Been setting it up to mirror my iPhone X. That went well. However iTunes will not show the new phone. iTunes will still show all my other devices. I have tried this phone on two computers running iTunes. Both will not display the phone. I have already done several things. I have reinstalled the drivers per Apple site instructions. Also deleted the Lockdown folder, rebooted, and still the same thing. BOTH computers (PC's) see the phone and it shows up it;s just iTunes that doesn't see it. Any advice?

iCloud for Windows-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 1:53 PM

Have you installed iTunes from the Microsoft Store? If so try uninstalling it and download a fresh copy from this set of direct iTunes installers links. Right-click the downloaded file and use Run as administrator.

tt2

38 replies

Nov 2, 2018 2:59 PM in response to purejax76

Sorry yes, I see you're on Windows 7 from the previous page. (I'm following far too many threads to remember details.) This is all very odd, detected by iTunes, yet not detected. 😕

A somewhat scattergun approach I'm afraid, not all of which may apply, or have been tried already, but If iTunes is apparently installed correctly try the following in turn until iTunes opens/closes/reopens/connects to the store/device normally:

• Remove any SD card that might be in a card reader.
  • Exit the BTTray.exe Bluetooth utility if installed.
  • Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build, for example, they had to use this method every time and modified the shortcut accordingly.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Try disconnecting your computer from the Internet before running iTunes.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible to delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • Temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus and see if that has any impact on the behaviour.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice. Disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software when reinstalling and run the installer as the administrator.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section of the troubleshooting tip and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you. Note that iTunes 12.9.0.164 is the minimum version required for devices running iOS 12.

tt2

Nov 2, 2018 1:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Below is the image that I'm talking about where right beside the Music drop down the icon shows that it is greyed out and the one below named Neo that's all that it shows. And when I plug in another iPad or iPhone the icon is darker and I am able to click on it and sync all my music and such with it. Sorry for the late response I was out of town and the PC in question was at home.

User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2018 5:07 AM in response to iwArKing

My iphone X and iPad 10.5 pro show up. My iPhone XS Max does not. I have tried all the above methods. (Really, I have.) I have just reinstalled the software directly from Apples site. (Windows User) and still the Max doesn't show up. Windows sees the phone perfectly. It's in the list of devices and everything. Hopefully this is a soon to be or already is a known issue. I have tried all of this own TWO different PC's and both fail to see the new phone in the iTunes software.

Sep 25, 2018 1:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Okay, finally. I was able to get it to work. The one thing I was holding on off doing was a uninstall and reinstall. So, I removed iTunes, 32Bit/64Bit app app support, Apple Update and Mobile Device support. I removed all that. Rebooted. Reinstalled and it finally worked. iTunes FINALLY see's my new phone as well as my other phone and tablet. I Was worried about my Library not reappearing. But all 766 albums showed up with all the edits I did still in place. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Oct 29, 2018 6:50 AM in response to JackamusFL

I have tried this several times and still I have not been able to sync my XS Max with iTunes. It has been brought to the attention of Apple Support Engineering team and they haven't found out what it going on as well. It's on a Windows 7 OS. It sees the XS Max but will not sync at all with it. Am I missing something else by chance? I have tried everything that has been listed in this post and other things I have tried several times over with the same results of no syncing at all. Thanks if anyone has any other options to try out.

Oct 29, 2018 7:10 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm not a iTunes Match or Apple Music subscriber it's all my stuff that I ripped from CD's and Converted them to MP3's. The issue is still iTunes does not sync with the XS Max it sees it and the icon is grayed out. But, when I plug in any other Apple device it sees it automatically and I'm able to sync with all my other devices just not the XS Max.

iPhone XS Max and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.