Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home screen rotate iPhone Xs Max not working

Hi

Does anyone know how to get the home screen on an iPhone Xs Max to rotate.

I have checked that the rotate lock is not on. I'm guessing the issue results from the fact that i restored from a backup of a iPhone X. Rotate is working within apps. I'm trying to avoid having to do a full reset as a i'm one of the strange people who like the rotating home screen .......

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 12:54 AM

From what i was told the Xs Max won’t be able to rotate due to Face ID! Something to do with the cameras being fixed in portrait mode and not being able to pick up your face in landscape so they allow you to use landscape everywhere else messages, notes. Settings etc but just not on the actual home screen! I heard it may be an update soon! Hopefully one day the whole phone every app will be able to!

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 12:54 AM in response to Dbreeney

From what i was told the Xs Max won’t be able to rotate due to Face ID! Something to do with the cameras being fixed in portrait mode and not being able to pick up your face in landscape so they allow you to use landscape everywhere else messages, notes. Settings etc but just not on the actual home screen! I heard it may be an update soon! Hopefully one day the whole phone every app will be able to!

Sep 22, 2018 1:35 PM in response to Dbreeney

Greetings, Dbreeney.

Congratulations on your new iPhone Xs Max! I see that you like to use your iPhones in landscape mode instead of portrait mode. The problem is, the Home screen of iPhone Xs Max won't rotate, and I'm happy to help.

If the screen doesn't rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Review the information and use the steps provided in this support article.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Aug 24, 2019 5:41 PM in response to Dbreeney

This worked for me:

Solution #1: Restart your iPhone (Forced restart).

If the iPhone XS Max screen suddenly won’t rotate after updating, chances are that the update had caused minor issues to the phone’s display settings. Usually minor software glitches are rectified by a device restart. If you haven’t already, then you should consider restarting or soft reset as the first possible solution to try. This won’t affect your phone’s internal data so you don’t need to create backups.

1. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
  3. Then, press and hold the Power button on the side of your iPhone and then release when the device restarts.

After the phone reboots, try to launch apps that work on both portrait and landscape modes and see if the problem is fixed.

Sep 24, 2018 2:56 AM in response to Dbreeney

The email app rotates for me, just not the home screen. Swiping down in the right corner does not open any option to do so as someone said Google suggested.

If it isn't just me, then I guess "it's the way Apple wants it".... just as they wont allow me to stream music to my 30 pin Zeppelin Air from iTunes anymore, but that's another matter, sorry for the rant. 😉

Sep 24, 2018 11:32 PM in response to Dbreeney

Because I have the same issue, I had chat with apple technicians, and he said that this is normal for iPhone xs max. The iPhone xs max doesn’t have the feature of home screen rotate. The portrait orientation is the only orientation of home screen for iPhone Cs Max. This is unbelievably & extremely disappointing to me.

I am hoping the coming iOS update contains this feature so that I can rotate my home screen.

It is unbelievable still.

Sep 25, 2018 11:37 AM in response to Dbreeney

It seems to be a major defect in the XS Max. I think a better feature would be to use back inductive pulse from the Qi coil to deliver a 14kV jolt to anyone who presses record in portrait mode.

Now the Xs Max does not work with Apple TV because you need to keep turning your head and you need to keep rotating the phone to open landscape apps.

The other disastrous effect of this flaw will be an even greater proliferation of portrait mode videos because people are too lazy to turn their phone before and after launching the camera app.

For the first time in a long time I am considering returning this iPhone before the 15 day return period ends.

Oct 30, 2018 9:25 AM in response to Dbreeney

Really hope so. Seem's like a lot of Plus users are upset with the XS Max UX experience as it's a step backwards. Being able to use the larger iPhones like a little iPad is one of the only real benefits of having the larger display. Loosing landscape home screen ***** bad and I don't think it has anything to do with Face ID as you couldn't actually unlock a Plus model in landscape either, it wasn't until the device was unlocked that it could actually be rotated and used solely in landscape, so Face ID not working in landscape is not the issue. I think it's more so the notch and what to do about the dock when rotating the device. It also ***** how Mail/Files and others now loose the static split view in favor of that annoying side menu that constantly slides in and out. Really hope in a future update Apple reverts to Landscape home screen and all the split view apps how they work on the Plus models. Otherwise there is no point to getting the large model any more.

Nov 19, 2018 5:32 PM in response to Dbreeney

Here is what I did to fix this: Placed iPhone XS Max in Original package and sent it right back within 30 day return policy. Then I went and bought an iPhone 8 Plus (product RED) for over $1100 less than the price of the Max. Best Apple related decision I ever made. $1800 for large memory iPhone Max with Apple Care is ridiculous.... and it can't even do what my awesome iPhone 8 plus can do. Plus I get to unlock the iPhone without picking it up and staring at it.

Home screen rotate iPhone Xs Max not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.