Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS activation issue

Setting up my wife’s new iPhone XS and we get all the way through the activation process (including the part where my wife‘s old ohine is deactivated) and at the very end we get the message, “We could not complete the activation of your iPhone. The SIM card in your new iPhone is not the one that shipped with it. Please reinsert that SIM card and restart your activation process“.

The issue is that it is the correct sim. It is the same SIM that is on the box and the same sim that AT&T has on their records. AT&T tried a new SIM and we had the same error. Trying to call apple now but I’ve been on hold for over 30 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has run into this or has any recommendations.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 9:30 PM

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT201407 - "If your iPhone can't be activated or an alert says the activation server is unavailable [or cannot be reached] or the SIM card is unsupported, learn what to do."

If you get an alert about the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT201420 - If you get an alert that says Invalid SIM or No SIM Card installed, follow these steps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 9:30 PM in response to RyanR19

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT201407 - "If your iPhone can't be activated or an alert says the activation server is unavailable [or cannot be reached] or the SIM card is unsupported, learn what to do."

If you get an alert about the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT201420 - If you get an alert that says Invalid SIM or No SIM Card installed, follow these steps.

Sep 22, 2018 12:43 AM in response to RyanR19

I had many problems activating my iPhone XS today. I had to go to Verizon for help. It took about one hour to get it activated. Verizon replaced the SIM card that came with the phone for a brand new SIM card. It took awhile...but it worked. I would advise going to your carrier and have them help you with activation. I have never had this happen before. I have always been able to set my iPhone up and activate from my home.

Sep 23, 2018 5:35 PM in response to RyanR19

I used Quick Start and an iTunes backup on my Mac to transfer data from my old iPhone 7 to my new iPhone Xs.

All the data transferred over, but my Xs was not activated on ATT. My old 7 was still active.

So..I erased the old 7 and reset it to factory defaults. But it still showed a cellular connection.

I read the activation instructions on Apple's site, but the instructions did not help.

Then I went to the ATT site, www.att.com/activate to manually activate the Xs.

I entered the EID number from the Xs box (thinking it was the same as the ICCID) and the IMEI2 number on the box (not noticing the "2". These were the wrong numbers. In Settings on the Xs, I could see the true ICCID and the IMEI (without the 2). (The IMEI without the "2" is on the box, as the last number listed. Why is the "2" number first??)

I entered the correct ICCID and IMEI numbers, but the ATT site continued to say I entered the wrong IMEI.

After a 1.5 hour chat session with ATT, during which I was transferred to a higher level of support, the tech supervisor was able to force activate the Xs. He had to manually enter the ICCID and IMEI on his end. I also had to remove the SIM card on the old 7.

Never, in the 4 or 5 iPhones that I've owned, have I had to go through such an experience.

I'm wondering with the problem lies with Quick Start. I've never used it before.

iPhone XS activation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.