Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone & Windows 10 - How To View Location Info & Other Metadata On Videos?

I'd like to get to the bottom of this strange issue that I'm sure others are having as well. Let me clarify [more than] a few things first:

What's happening: Photos import to my PC with all of the EXIF data in tact - meaning I can right click and view properties, and see the GPS coordinates, altitude, date taken, and device info. Videos, on the other hand, come in with the metadata nearly blank, other than an inaccurate "date created" and "date modified".

• I'm running Windows 10, but I've also tried this with Windows 7. Same results.
  • Windows, iTunes, and iOS, and even QuickTime have all been up to date. This has been occurring since I switched from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 7 Plus in 2017. Now, I'm on an iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 12, same results.
  • I've tried recording at all different resolutions, and in "most compatible" mode, as well as "high efficiency" mode.
  • Location services are enabled for camera. Location tagging is enabled. It works for photos, just not videos.

• I have tried importing directly by copying from [PC > iPhone > Internal Storage > DCIM####] to a location on my computer.
  • I have tried importing with Microsoft's Photos app.
  • I have tried importing with several different third party softwares.
  • I have imported the videos as MOV/H.264, and MOV/HEVC (H.265). Same results on both.

Here's where things get strange:

• My iPhone is indeed location tagging photos. In the Photos app on my phone, I can see the location info for videos.
  • Some third party iPhone management programs (for Windows 10) do show that the videos have location info - but when I import them, it's not in "Properties" like it is for photos - nothing is.

Here's where they get even stranger:

The location info is actually making it to the imported file - I just can't read it. Third party metadata reader applications show me the info.

So for some reason, Windows 10 and Windows 7 cannot read the metadata from videos taken with an iPhone. However, Windows can read that same info from old videos that I took with my iPhone 4.

I've tried converting the imported videos to various formats, and to no avail. Does Windows do the same thing for everyone else - showing no metadata on videos? How do I get Windows to be able to read that info right in "Properties"?

Here's what "Properties" looks like for my video files:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

But here's a third party metadata reader with the same file:

User uploaded file

And here's what "Properties" looks like for my photos - and, in fact, my old videos from before my iPhone 7 Plus:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12, null

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 3:05 PM

iQuit.

Returning my iPhone. Bye Apple.

Similar questions

3 replies

iPhone & Windows 10 - How To View Location Info & Other Metadata On Videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.