Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the spotlight window randomly close after typing a few specific characters?

Just to weed out unhelpful comments about user error, I will start by saying, I have used macs my entire life and so I am very aware of the way they operate, including spotlight search, which I have been using for years.

My macs software is completely up to date at 10.12.6 and this is a new problem that started today. It is a mac book pro from mid 2015 with all the best internal options. Solid state drive. I have tried restarting, relaunching finder, just leaving the computer off for a while. Nothing has solved the issue. I am not accidentally bumping or clicking any keys and nothing else has to be open on my computer for this to happen.

I have noticed it happens when typing specific letters and after a certain number of letters has been typed. Ive been trying to spotlight search "photoshop" but as soon as i type a "p" "i" or "m" the window spontaneously disappears. I can use those letters as long as they aren't the first letter in the search. for example, I can search "apple" I cannot however type "pear." I can type "dig" but not "iPhone."

The "i" only seems to make it glitch if the "p" or "m" glitch happened the try before.

One thing that is not constant is the amount of letters I can use. in the last 10 tries it disappeared after 4-6 letters 3 times but the rest of the tries I could type as many as I wanted as long as i didn't start with a "p" or "m"

When the glitch happens the spotlight icon in the menubar disappears for a half a second and comes back. This does not happen when pressing "esc" or clicking off.

I've seen this question posted many times on apple support pages with no solution other than the people saying "user error". If anyone has a solution other than like reinstalling the same software that caused this problem, which is what was recommended to the other people with this problem and didn't solve it, I would really appreciate it. If not, then this problem needs to be fixed immediately. It makes spotlight practically unusable.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 1:33 PM

I believe it has everything to do with the Safari 12 update as a bunch of threads just popped up reporting the same issue. Turn OFF (uncheck) the "Bookmarks & History" option in Spotlight pane in System Preferences. The problem will stop until Apple fixes Safari.

BTW - reindexing only fixes the problem until the reindex completes; then the problem comes right back.

User uploaded file

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2018 1:33 PM in response to skyleejeffrey

I believe it has everything to do with the Safari 12 update as a bunch of threads just popped up reporting the same issue. Turn OFF (uncheck) the "Bookmarks & History" option in Spotlight pane in System Preferences. The problem will stop until Apple fixes Safari.

BTW - reindexing only fixes the problem until the reindex completes; then the problem comes right back.

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2018 7:49 AM in response to the tall

Is it crashing?

Do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mail crashing

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

Oct 4, 2018 5:20 AM in response to sparky67

Thanks, I've had this issue too, and that has solved it.

Something else that has happened since that update is my 'Mail' is when inactive suddenly decides to go 120% CPU and freezes with the fan going mental. Not sure if it's related, but Sierra on MBP and it's only happened since this update. Never had a problem with Mac Mail overheating when idle ever. On any other OS either.

Oct 18, 2018 1:35 AM in response to sparky67

@sparky67, this helps. It was driving me nuts for the past few weeks. I use spotlight a lot for simple calculations. But now the window always disappeared while typing.

My bookmarks and history is synchronised to another mac with iCloud. So both macs use the same data and the same Safari 12, but the other mac has no problems with spotlight.

The problem mac uses Sierra and the other High Sierra.

Re-indexing of spotlight was the first thing I tried, but that didn't help.

Oct 28, 2018 3:38 AM in response to sparky67

Thank you! It worked. And yes, I only started to experience the Spotlight problem after updating Safari a few days ago. I couldn't function without Spotlight. Funny, I used Safari for a few days and then went back to Chrome. I forgot how much I don't like Safari especially because it won't translate non-English webpages instantly, as far as I know.

Why does the spotlight window randomly close after typing a few specific characters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.