Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imported jpegs won't play in iMovie

Using OS 10.11.6 and iMovie 10.1.6, when I import jpegs from my desktop using the "command I' keystroke, the image appears in media, and also when I drag it into the timeline, but when I tap the spacebar, the image doesn't play, the screen on the right side of the iMovie is blank or black. Can you help?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 12:03 PM

Greetings Rich,

I am delighted to report that your suggestion does work to allow the import and display of a jpeg which wouldn't previously display! I opened the offending jpeg in Preview, changed the size per the options provided and then imported it into iMovie. It imported as a 1 second image, but using the add freeze frame option, it stretched it out to 4 seconds or whatever length desired. Thank you very much!

There were two other suggestions posted on other threads that I tried. One was to open the image in Quicktime and then import it into iMovie. This also worked and adding freeze frame wasn't necessary.

The other suggestion was to try to use the Ken Burns effect in iMovie, but this wouldn't work for me because the image wouldn't display in the viewing box in iMovie.

My eventual conclusion is that the image as it resided on "photos" on my iPhone was corrupted somehow. The image had been successfully inserted in an email sent to others, but when I copied it into a burn folder on the iMac desktop, and burned it to a CD, it could no longer be imported into iMovie, unless performing your suggestion or using Quicktime.

thank you again,

Joe

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 12:03 PM in response to HJMartin

Greetings Rich,

I am delighted to report that your suggestion does work to allow the import and display of a jpeg which wouldn't previously display! I opened the offending jpeg in Preview, changed the size per the options provided and then imported it into iMovie. It imported as a 1 second image, but using the add freeze frame option, it stretched it out to 4 seconds or whatever length desired. Thank you very much!

There were two other suggestions posted on other threads that I tried. One was to open the image in Quicktime and then import it into iMovie. This also worked and adding freeze frame wasn't necessary.

The other suggestion was to try to use the Ken Burns effect in iMovie, but this wouldn't work for me because the image wouldn't display in the viewing box in iMovie.

My eventual conclusion is that the image as it resided on "photos" on my iPhone was corrupted somehow. The image had been successfully inserted in an email sent to others, but when I copied it into a burn folder on the iMac desktop, and burned it to a CD, it could no longer be imported into iMovie, unless performing your suggestion or using Quicktime.

thank you again,

Joe

Sep 24, 2018 1:36 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize QT was only for videos. To open the jpeg in QT, I can either right click and "open with" QT, and then double click on the jpeg, or open QT and then go to open file and select from the list. I guess it makes the jpeg into a movie. Then I import the QT file into iMovie and drag it into the timeline where it appears as a 0.1 sec movie, then right click on the jpeg as it appears in the timeline and then scroll down to add freeze frame and then I can adjust the length of the clip. If I have not been clear, please advise. Thanks again.

Joe

imported jpegs won't play in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.