Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iMovie export?

I recently made a new iMovie video and can't export it. I don't get any notifications of any sort when I try to it just goes to the corner with the share files button and disappears. I've tried many times to export it as a file, to youtube or to email and none of them work, the file never appears anywhere.

So far I've updated my macOS and tried various restarts but it still won't export. I tried to update the app in the app store but it says that the update for iMovie is incompatible. What do I do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 7:24 PM

Try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. That might clear out any conflicts that might be causing the sharing out failures.

If Safe Mode doesn't work, try redownloading iMovie 10. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10.

Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the

Applications folder.

If still no luck, try re-encoding the clips in the movie with the free download, Handbrake, to H.264, Mp4/AAC (even if it is already that format). Handbrake will re-encode the clip to that format by default. To begin, put your clip on your desktop. Then open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to the desk top display of files. Double click on your video clip to choose it. Then do File/Start Encoding. After the clip is encoded, drag it into iMovie and see if you can share out.

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 7:24 PM in response to gowanus4

Try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. That might clear out any conflicts that might be causing the sharing out failures.

If Safe Mode doesn't work, try redownloading iMovie 10. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10.

Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the

Applications folder.

If still no luck, try re-encoding the clips in the movie with the free download, Handbrake, to H.264, Mp4/AAC (even if it is already that format). Handbrake will re-encode the clip to that format by default. To begin, put your clip on your desktop. Then open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to the desk top display of files. Double click on your video clip to choose it. Then do File/Start Encoding. After the clip is encoded, drag it into iMovie and see if you can share out.

-- Rich

Apr 10, 2020 12:56 AM in response to gowanus4

Sometimes a corrupt preference can interfere with an export. Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in

the box that appears.  iMovie will open in a new library.  Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

You can also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit Copy. of the media in your project and then Edit/jPaste it into a newly created project. Your edits will be preserved. See if you can share out from the new project.

-- Rich

Apr 11, 2020 7:11 PM in response to Rich839

I did this and I still can't share the movie as a file, it still goes to the corner and begins to export in the circle animation but then stops immediately with the notification "(com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)". I've seen that a possible solution for this is to update iMovie, but it says the update is incompatible and whenever I try to the app store just buffers.

Why won't my iMovie export?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.