Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with importing photos from iPhone X to MacBook Pro

Hello. Today I encountered a strange problem while importing photos form my iPhone to my Mac. As of today I had about 2000 unimported photos on my phone. I connected iPhone to my computer and tried to import them. After some time, about 750 photos were imported and then the process got frozen. I waited for 20 minutes but nothing happened. Then I closed the program and tried to import them again, however, this time Photos stopped to show any pictures on my phone(See picture 1). I tried some tricks but they only appeared again when I restarted iPhone. Next, I tried to import just a couple of photos, and after a about 2 minutes of freezing the message was displayed that Photos could not import the chosen objects because their format is unsupported(See picture 2 and 3).

Info: Both MacBook and iPhone are updated to the last versions.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

null-OTHER, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Photos

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 1:31 AM

Your iPhone X may be taking photos and videos in the new space saving HEIC and HEVC format.

If you try to import them on a Mac that has not yet been upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High Sierra, the Mac will give the warning about the unsupported format.

Upgrade your Mac to High sierra, if you can.

Or change the settings on your iPhone, so the files will get converted to a more compatible format on import:

Go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, disable "Keep Originals" to ensure that the media will be being converted when importing.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

or: Работа с медиафайлами HEIF и HEVC на устройствах Apple - Служба поддержки Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 1:31 AM in response to Weiktor

Your iPhone X may be taking photos and videos in the new space saving HEIC and HEVC format.

If you try to import them on a Mac that has not yet been upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High Sierra, the Mac will give the warning about the unsupported format.

Upgrade your Mac to High sierra, if you can.

Or change the settings on your iPhone, so the files will get converted to a more compatible format on import:

Go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, disable "Keep Originals" to ensure that the media will be being converted when importing.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

or: Работа с медиафайлами HEIF и HEVC на устройствах Apple - Служба поддержки Apple

Problem with importing photos from iPhone X to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.