Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Macbook Air - Multiple Partition - Which one to erase?

Hi

What i did?

1. I entered disk utility. i saw only Macintosh HD. I erased it and chose APFS.

2. After closing disk utility, i clicked reinstall and followed the instructions.

3. I got error. Something about preboot.

I restarted.

It started internet recovery.

Now, my partitions are different.

Which one should i erase and reinstall mac?

Please tell me the steps.

I have attached the photo.User uploaded file

MacBook Air, iOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 5:58 PM

Hello mahesh2150.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you need some help choosing which disk to erase and reinstall the macOS. I will be glad to assist.

Take a look at the following info below from the article: How to erase a disk for Mac

Which format to use: APFS or Mac OS Extended

Disk Utility in macOS High Sierra or later can erase most disks and volumes using either the newer APFS(Apple File System) format or the older Mac OS Extended format, and it automatically chooses a compatible format for you. If you want to change the format, answer these questions:

Are you formatting the disk that came built into your Mac?
If the built-in disk came APFS-formatted, don't change it to Mac OS Extended.

Are you about to install macOS High Sierra or later on the disk?
If you need to erase your disk before installing High Sierra or later for the first time on that disk, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). During installation, the macOS installer decides whether to automatically convert to APFS—without erasing your files:

• macOS Mojave: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS.
  • macOS High Sierra: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS only if the volume is on an SSD or other all-flash storage device. Fusion Drives and traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) aren't converted.
Cheers.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 5:58 PM in response to mahesh2150

Hello mahesh2150.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you need some help choosing which disk to erase and reinstall the macOS. I will be glad to assist.

Take a look at the following info below from the article: How to erase a disk for Mac

Which format to use: APFS or Mac OS Extended

Disk Utility in macOS High Sierra or later can erase most disks and volumes using either the newer APFS(Apple File System) format or the older Mac OS Extended format, and it automatically chooses a compatible format for you. If you want to change the format, answer these questions:

Are you formatting the disk that came built into your Mac?
If the built-in disk came APFS-formatted, don't change it to Mac OS Extended.

Are you about to install macOS High Sierra or later on the disk?
If you need to erase your disk before installing High Sierra or later for the first time on that disk, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). During installation, the macOS installer decides whether to automatically convert to APFS—without erasing your files:

• macOS Mojave: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS.
  • macOS High Sierra: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS only if the volume is on an SSD or other all-flash storage device. Fusion Drives and traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) aren't converted.
Cheers.

Sep 24, 2018 8:39 PM in response to pedro d

My recovery gave only APFS format option. But the installation got failed.

After reboot, I went to internet recovery, which showed only Mac OS Extended option only.

My Mac came with APFS with High Sierra.

Now, I have installed macOS Sierra only.

If I upgrade will it solve the problem?

Will it automatically get change the format to APFS?

Reinstalling Macbook Air - Multiple Partition - Which one to erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.