Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod, shortcuts and meshed wifi networks

I've got several homepods connected to a meshed wifi network (Linksys Velop, 3 devices) and connected to the network is my iphone, Apple TV and ipad.

All are signed in with the same Id.

I can get Siri on the homepod to tell me my agenda, messages etc, but when I create a shortcut on my iphone, I get the dreaded "must be on the same wifi network" message from the homepod (in fact, it tells it twice in a row.. strange).

I have a suspicion that the homepod can't handle a meshed wifi network.... any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 2:25 AM

I have a very similar issue using a mesh network, in my case a BT Wholehome mesh network (consisting of three WiFi discs that all show up as the same SSID). Sometimes if I try to use my HomePod to set a reminder I get told I can’t use personal requests because my iPhone isn’t on the same network as my HomePod. I’ve confirmed that this only happens when my iPhone is connected to my lounge wifi disc and the HomePod is connected to the Office wifi disc. If they’re both using the same disc it works.

I also use an Arlo baby camera that works through the Home app, and this breaks the connection to the camera if I move around the house when the iPhone or iPad switches to another WiFi disc. Worse, when this happens the camera then thinks someone else is still viewing it and it won’t let me reconnect to it.

I was wondering it it was an Apple problem or to do with my mesh network, so it’s interesting to hear that you have the same problem with a different make of mesh network.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 2:25 AM in response to Mike Werner

I have a very similar issue using a mesh network, in my case a BT Wholehome mesh network (consisting of three WiFi discs that all show up as the same SSID). Sometimes if I try to use my HomePod to set a reminder I get told I can’t use personal requests because my iPhone isn’t on the same network as my HomePod. I’ve confirmed that this only happens when my iPhone is connected to my lounge wifi disc and the HomePod is connected to the Office wifi disc. If they’re both using the same disc it works.

I also use an Arlo baby camera that works through the Home app, and this breaks the connection to the camera if I move around the house when the iPhone or iPad switches to another WiFi disc. Worse, when this happens the camera then thinks someone else is still viewing it and it won’t let me reconnect to it.

I was wondering it it was an Apple problem or to do with my mesh network, so it’s interesting to hear that you have the same problem with a different make of mesh network.

Sep 25, 2018 5:46 AM in response to oric1sg

Thanks for that. However the WiFi network is correct, HomePod doesn’t show an error for WiFi or any alarms, and normal personal requests come through, just not personal shortcuts. ( the shortcut does go into the web via IFTTT).

UPDATE: I did some more tests. I removed 2 of the 3 meshed wifi routers, and now all homepods worked. So IMHO, the pods have problems when there's a meshed wifi network. When I powered all back on, it still worked, but when I powered off the iphone and powered it back on in a different level, it stopped working. Obviously the iphone was on one router while the pods on another.

Homepod, shortcuts and meshed wifi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.