Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max lightning port charging issue

So Just got my new iphone. and noticed this issue I've been having. I connect the lightning cable to my phone to charge and most of the time it’s automatically charges. However I’ve noticed several times plugging the phone in and no charge comes up. Tried unplugging and plugging back in, sometimes it’ll work. I started to test it out. And I noticed the times I plugged it in, and I get no charge, I‘d leave the phone alone for 10-15 seconds. I pick it up, the screen illuminarea and then the charging symbol pops up. ive Tested these only with apple cables. So I’m thinking it’s either a port issue or possibly software. Any ideas or recommendations ?

thanks.

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 5:53 PM

I am having this issue as well. I cannot tell if it is related to software, haven’t really paid attention to that part. I have an official 29w apple adapter with official Apple USB C power cable, as well as an aftermarket charger. Even today getting off work, i tried to connect it to my car charger and same issue. I set up an appointment with my carrier tomorrow and will be switching the phone.

438 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 5:53 PM in response to xMASTIFFSx

I am having this issue as well. I cannot tell if it is related to software, haven’t really paid attention to that part. I have an official 29w apple adapter with official Apple USB C power cable, as well as an aftermarket charger. Even today getting off work, i tried to connect it to my car charger and same issue. I set up an appointment with my carrier tomorrow and will be switching the phone.

Sep 29, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Fcub32

Sounds to me like you might have the Lightning Port disabled.

In the settings of iOS12 there’s an option to disable the lightning port when the iPhone is locked. This is a security/privacy feature as most law enforcement agencies that gain access to iPhones without the owner’s consent do so by connecting devices to the lightning port.

I suggest you make sure that option is not active and see if the issue persists.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2018 7:30 PM in response to xMASTIFFSx

After updating my phone to 11.4.1 now the phone some times switch off automatically and again it get on.

This happen many time and when it happenes the battery level show 4% and gets down and it doesn’t get charged.

This have for many times and when I turn off the phone and plug in to charge it turn on automatically.

If I turn of the phone for 1 days then only it start working again good.

Please help me and solve my problem

Phone model-6s

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 30, 2018 1:23 AM in response to xMASTIFFSx

It's funny how no one ever reads the release notes and then they act all surprised.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_release_notes/ios_12_release_notes

"To improve security, iOS 12 may require you unlock your passcode-protected iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in order to connect it to a Mac, PC, or USB accessory.

If you use iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP) USB accessories over the Lightning connector (such as CarPlay, assistive devices, charging accessories, or storage carts) or you connect to a Mac or PC you might need to unlock your device to recognize the accessory. If you don't unlock your device, it won't communicate with the accessory or computer, and it won't charge. Note that you don't need to unlock your device to charge using an Apple USB power adapter.

If a USB accessory isn't recognized after you unlock your device, disconnect it, unlock your device, and reconnect the accessory.

If you normally use a USB assistive device to enter your passcode, you may allow it to communicate with your device while it is locked by enabling “USB Accessories” in Settings > Face ID/Touch ID & Passcode."

My bet is it has something to do with a specific combo of a charging accessory and the charging port.

Sep 30, 2018 11:58 AM in response to xMASTIFFSx

According to "Using USB accessories with iOS 11.4.1 and later - Apple Support":

You might need to unlock your passcode-protected iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to connect it to a Mac, PC, or a USB accessory

This charging issue is probably the result of a security feature introduced in an attempt to stop iPhone unlockers such as GrayKey. More info: Apple Vs. GrayKey: Leaked Emails Expose The Fight For Your iPhone Privacy.

I do not know why this only affects certain phones, but this seems to be a very likely cause of the issue.

Oct 1, 2018 2:32 AM in response to Fcub32

I have a case open, very easy to set up using the Apple Support app. Suggest everyone on here opens a case up. I will keep this thread updated.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044?mt=8

Not happy at all. I paid a huge price and even took out Apple Care for the extra 2 years.

I hope it is software. I mean come on, did Apple not plug the thing in to see if it charged?

Adrian.

Oct 2, 2018 7:47 AM in response to xMASTIFFSx

Posting in case this is useful for debugging purposes.

Experiencing a similar issue with a new iPhone XS. Albeit, mine also does not charge even when woken up / unlocked. Occurs even with the "USB Accessories" option enabled.

Additional info from testing includes:

• Unplugging/plugging the cable on the iPhone has no effect.
  • Works if I disconnect and reconnect cable on the iMac it's plugged into.
  • Works if the phone restarts with cable already connected. Subsequently disconnecting and re-connecting causes the same issue.

Sep 24, 2018 6:16 PM in response to Fcub32

I’ve managed to isolate the issue. As you suggest, it could be related to software. If i haven’t interacted with the phone for some time, it becomes unresponsive to a charger being plugged in. But if unplug then lift it and start using it, it will recognize the charger. Still taking it in for a switch.

Sep 24, 2018 7:52 PM in response to xMASTIFFSx

I’ve noticed the SAME thing today! And the process can be reiterated by anyone with the iPhone XS Max so far..... I did the same

Process; which is leaving the device alone for 20 secs and then, without waking the screen, plugging it in ... and NOTHING hap!!! It won’t charge or make a sound ... even after you wake it ! You have to unplug it and re-plug it In with the screen awake for it to start charging . Very very bad bug. If I do this before bed and FORGET to check the phones charging status, I’ll be upset to wake up to a dead phone . This needs to be checkout out ASAP.

Sep 24, 2018 8:18 PM in response to LaughingCompas-s

Ok so seems to be a bigger issue than expected. As I tested my wife’s phone and same thing happened. I don’t know if it’s worth to rush and trade out the phone, since same thing can still be happening on other phones due to how new they are. I’m pretty certain this can be fixed with an update. Since the phone doesn’t disconnect charging at any time when working.. It’s just the initial plugin to the port, and once the phone wakes it charges.

If anyone changes the phone out and notices the same or different outcome with the charging issue, please post it here.

Hopefully this can get to apple and this can be resolved easily.

iPhone XS Max lightning port charging issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.