Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Question:

Question: Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018

As macOS Mojave was released today, I thought I would try to upgrade my 15" MacBook Pro 2018 to the latest software. However, when I'm running the installer, after around 2-3 minutes I get an error message that a problem has occurred, with no solution in sight. I have tried to reboot, turn it on and off, updated without internet etc etc, nothing works. This is the error message I'm getting (in Swedish):

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

It seems that many people have gotten confirmation from Apple that this is an issue with the T2 chip.

I would STRONGLY advice you to stay on whatever OS you are running now, do NOT try to install Mojave or reinstall the OS you are running. Even the people who have gotten it to work are experiencing several bugs with Mojave. If I were you, I would wait until Apple releases a patch for the OS so that it works with the new MBP:s. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 26, 2018 4:13 AM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

The T2 chip will not let users of MBP 2018 install Mojave or for that matter a clean install of High Sierra. There is a work around but it is very complicated and time consuming and will be a bit much for the average user. Note: I have not tried it and I should not have to. Apple need to address this issue and quickly so I would wait until they have done so. Do not try to do a clean install without a back up. I have made Apple aware of this and will keep pressing them for a solution. Good luck

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 5, 2018 12:12 PM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

I talked to a an Apple Care representative today, and we messed around to try some different solutions and sent in logs etc. One final thing we tried, was to use my iPhone cellular network through USB (not WiFi) and run the installer file (note that you should download the installer with your normal WiFi from the App Store, so that you don't waste your monthly usage). Then turn off WiFi on your Mac and connect an USB lightning cable to the computer, and turn on Internet sharing on your phone. Then try to run the installet and voilá.

At least this worked for me, can others confirm or deny if this worked?

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Sep 24, 2018 12:40 PM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

I am having the same problem on a 13" 2018 MacBook pro. I downloaded the installer, and then the install fails after a few minutes with the message "An error occurred installing macOS". I haven't been able to find any more detail about why it's failing.

Sep 24, 2018 12:40 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 24, 2018 1:05 PM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

I have tried reseting SMC and NVRAM, but it did not work. Still having these problems, but it seems like more MBP 2018 users are also experiencing this?

Sep 24, 2018 1:05 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 24, 2018 3:49 PM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

Serious installation issues here too (MacBook Pro 2016). Restore to High Sierra only option. Never have I seen such heavy unrecoverable errors while installing a Mac OS. Same problem as Kladdy plus this update error.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2018 3:49 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 24, 2018 10:47 PM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

I found this other thread where resetting the SMC was suggested:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33919786#message33919786

That fixed it for me - after resetting the SMC and running the installer again it successfully installed and I didn't get the error message again.

Sep 24, 2018 10:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 3:23 AM in response to Kladdy In response to Kladdy

Hello,

I've got a MacBook Pro 2018 and I'm having the exact same problem. I tried deleting the original download and downloading it again, but in vain.

I've spoken to Apple Care and they are investigating and will get back to me later, so let's see.

I haven't tried resetting the SMC yet, but I might give it a shot.

Sep 25, 2018 3:23 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 25, 2018 3:43 AM in response to ferasfromhove In response to ferasfromhove

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 and the install freezes after almost completing. I have tried all the suggested resets. Have tried a clean installs with same results. Tried without using my Time Machine backup as if a new computer and Mojave installed but when I tried to migrate it all went for crap after 3 hours of download to just freeze on boot up.This is the worst piece of software produced by Apple. I have always upgraded without issues an 6 Macs over the years and this is absolute crap software.

Sep 25, 2018 3:43 AM

Reply Helpful (2)
User profile for user: Kladdy

Question: Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018