Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018

As macOS Mojave was released today, I thought I would try to upgrade my 15" MacBook Pro 2018 to the latest software. However, when I'm running the installer, after around 2-3 minutes I get an error message that a problem has occurred, with no solution in sight. I have tried to reboot, turn it on and off, updated without internet etc etc, nothing works. This is the error message I'm getting (in Swedish):

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 2:01 AM

It seems that many people have gotten confirmation from Apple that this is an issue with the T2 chip.

I would STRONGLY advice you to stay on whatever OS you are running now, do NOT try to install Mojave or reinstall the OS you are running. Even the people who have gotten it to work are experiencing several bugs with Mojave. If I were you, I would wait until Apple releases a patch for the OS so that it works with the new MBP:s. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

480 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 2:01 AM in response to Kladdy

It seems that many people have gotten confirmation from Apple that this is an issue with the T2 chip.

I would STRONGLY advice you to stay on whatever OS you are running now, do NOT try to install Mojave or reinstall the OS you are running. Even the people who have gotten it to work are experiencing several bugs with Mojave. If I were you, I would wait until Apple releases a patch for the OS so that it works with the new MBP:s. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Sep 26, 2018 11:11 PM in response to Kladdy

I struggled with this for 3 days, and I was finally able to install Mojave. Before I proceed with any steps, please confirm that you are perhaps stuck at the same spot I was at:

• The installer stops when there's about 15 seconds remaining, an error shows up saying "An error occurred installing macOS", and clicking on 'OK' quits the installer.
  • After this, open up Spotlight Search (Cmd + Space), type 'console' and press Enter. In the console sidebar to the left, click on the /var/log directory, and then select 'install.log' in the resulting sidebar.
  • Check whether there are any error messages in the log stating 'Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle' or 'Failed to personalize with options'. You can use the search field to search for these messages. My error log looked exactly like djeux's log here: Re: Re: Mojave - "An error occurred installing macOS" error

If you see an error message that includes the above, the following solution might help:

1. Create a new admin user using the steps mentioned here: http://osxdaily.com/2017/07/17/how-create-new-admin-account-mac/. You will need to reuse the password for admin logins, so use something handy.
  2. Login using the newly created admin user and run the Mojave installer again. It should install just fine this time. If it doesn't and if the console error log says that 'BridgeOS could not be updated' or something similar this time, disable the firewall by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Lock button in bottom left > Turn Off Firewall. You can re-enable it later, but this part may be unnecessary to most people.
  3. The installation will be completed and you will be logged back into this newly created admin account. You can then log out and log back in to your usual admin account, and you can delete the other account and its home folder if necessary.

I have had conversations with about 6 different Apple support agents, and it seems like Apple may be unaware about this error in particular. I tried all their solutions, resetting the SMC, installing from safe mode, from internet recovery mode, disabling auto proxy discover, using an Ethernet adapter, and nothing worked except this.

They also suggested I try a bootable installer for Mojave, but that would've been time consuming and I haven't tried it yet as I found a better alternative before that. But if you the above solution didn't work, you can give it a try yourself by following the steps here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help!

-- Sufi

Sep 26, 2018 4:13 AM in response to Kladdy

The T2 chip will not let users of MBP 2018 install Mojave or for that matter a clean install of High Sierra. There is a work around but it is very complicated and time consuming and will be a bit much for the average user. Note: I have not tried it and I should not have to. Apple need to address this issue and quickly so I would wait until they have done so. Do not try to do a clean install without a back up. I have made Apple aware of this and will keep pressing them for a solution. Good luck

Sep 29, 2018 12:15 PM in response to Kladdy

User uploaded file

I Got a brand new MBP 15 2018 around aug 2018 with 32 GB ram 2TB SSD etc.... I still can't install Mojave. I get the same error "an error occurred while installing OS"

I did all the resets and disk utils. even downloading the file and I deleted the 6.02GB install file from applications and downloaded a new one.

What do I do?

Oct 5, 2018 10:17 AM in response to dmauch

dmauch, OK, If you need some quick steps I'll leave them here:

1. once you've downloaded the VMware Fusion dmg open the DMG, and double click and follow the instructions.

2 when you're asked for license key, that's where you request a 30 day trial which well email you a key that expires 30 days from activation.

3. Once you've reached the create a virtual machine window

Make sure you have the Install Mojave install app downloaded from the Mac App Store., and double click install from disc or image and navigate to the installer app. This should cause Fusion to automatically create and setup a VM for Mojave.

Give the Virtual machine about 4096 mb of ram which is 4GB, because your iMac only has 8 total, you don't want to give it more than that.

Here are a couple screenshots I'm providing of VM examples running in Fusion of older versions of Mac OS X.

Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)

User uploaded file

Snow Leopard (10.6.8) modified to look like 10.6.8 server so it will run as virtualizing OS X had different licensing back then.

User uploaded file

Sep 30, 2018 1:04 PM in response to Robin Bonathan

Try this over another thread:

User uploaded file
Apple Support Communities
tgagle has posted in the macOS Mojave community.
Mojave install a disaster

I have seen the same problems with early betas up and to including the public new version.

It starts with incredibly slow keyboard. Each character typed on logon as about a 30 second lag.

Once logged on, no wifi.

I have tried all of the resets and safe mode boots.

Nothing has been it better.

I have restored to High Sierra backup every time.

Very disappointing!

To post a reply, go to the discussion in Communities.
You are receiving this email from Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Communities Profile. Please expect a slight delay in visibility of points awarded.
TM and copyright © 2018 Apple Inc. One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014.
All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support
This message was sent to you from an email address that does not accept incoming messages.
Any replies to this message will not be read. If you have questions, please visit support.apple.com/contact.

Oct 17, 2018 11:06 AM in response to iFrog41

Your iMac is too old for Mojave support.

See here: https://www.tekrevue.com/macos-mojave-system-requirements/

You can probably go to Sierra, or even High Sierra on that iMac.

If you have a late 2009 iMac, then you can run High Sierra as the newest OS:

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications

If not, then you would either have to go to Sierra, or stay with El Capitan. I will warn you though, Apple only actively supports the current +2 current releases at any time. So when Mojave was released, support for El Capitan was dropped. So with this said, Sierra, or High Sierra are my recommendations for you.

Here is a link to get older versions of the macOS direct from the App Store: mac appstore - How to download macOS High Sierra from the Mojave App Store? - Ask Different

There are direct links to the install application on the Mac App Store.

Pick High Sierra, or Sierra, whichever you like, or try both to see which runs best.

Sorry for the delay, took me a while to find the link again.

It wouldn't let me edit the first post, so here is the whole post over again with the needed information.

Oct 28, 2018 7:41 AM in response to hughfromnewquay

We just upgraded our 4th Mac to Mojave last night without incident. My initial "upgrade" attempt was complete disaster trying to put Mojave on my 2015 MBP, and I wasted nearly a weekend trying to troubleshoot the completely crippled installation, and only got my computer back by restoring back to High Sierra with Time Machine backup (hooray, Time Machine!!). Eventually, a remedy using Terminal to rename an old file was posted ( Mojave install a disaster ) and I tried it and yes, I had that old file on every machine. So, I got up my nerve to try this after about a week or so, ran the terminal script to rename the offending file, and installed Mojave with complete success. I have repeated this on all the Macs, including a 2012 MBP and a new 2018 MBP with the T2 chip (which is not the problem), and so far they are all running smoothly.

What bothers me is, why has Apple not addressed this and posted at least an informational statement, or better yet a patch? That is so weird, as this has been going on for over month now. I feel like a stepped into a trap with the initial installation. They seem to be in official denial over this problem.

Nov 2, 2018 11:59 AM in response to iFrog41

Here you go IFrog. Thanks. It was Quirkz and appleuser.

User uploaded filedmauchOct 12, 2018 3:46 PM in response to picklebreath

User uploaded file Level 1 (18 points)

Oct 12, 2018 3:46 PM Re: Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018in response to picklebreath

Quirkz and the appleuser on another thread get the credit, not I. I simply tried it out, refined their posted instruction a bit and it worked. It is THEY who get the credit and thanks, not I. So happy for you to end off a long week!

Reply options

Sep 26, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Kladdy

Hi all,

After more than 25 downloads it finally worked for me. Below step by step guide that I followed and its hopefully easy to follow for non technical people.

1. Disable Wi-Fi during the complete installation
    1. System Preferences -> Network
    2. Select Wi-Fi and click "Turn Wi-Fi off"
  2. Plug in USB LAN Port to connect to your router (you need a special adapter to support USB-C)
  3. I had the "AdBlocker Pro" software installed which uses Proxies (you need to clear the proxies)
    1. To disable the Proxies go to System Preferences -> Network -> USB 10/100 ....
    2. Select Advanced -> Proxies
    3. Un-click all protocols
    4. Click Ok and then Apply
    5. Close network
  4. In Finder: Open Applications and delete "Install macOS Mojave" and other versions as well
  5. Restart your MBP - it is essential that you reboot AFTER you have removed the Proxies - Proxies are still enabled even if you have done as described above until you have done the reboot.
  6. In App Store search for "MacOS Mojave" and download
  7. Install Mojave (30 min or more)
  8. When done re-enable Wi-FI and the proxies you need

I hope it works for you - it did for me. It is all about sequence

Oct 15, 2018 5:56 PM in response to Kladdy

Hey people. I might have a solution for ya. I've been really struggling with the so called error 602 (readed out of the installer log) when the installer stopped at around the end before restarting preventing the computer to reboot and install.

Not sure if it has anything to with this, but the secure boot is on low security for me (set it in recovery OS) and after doing everything I could find anywhere (even a clean install), the solution turned out to be the SMC reset but make sure you follow these steps on the 2018 MacBook Pro with the mentioned T2 chips:

(check it in the System Report/Controller)

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold the right Shift key, the left Option key, and the left Control key for 7 seconds. Then keep holding those keys while you press and hold the power button for another 7 seconds.
  3. Release all three keys and the power button, then wait a few seconds.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

After resetting the SMC with these steps the installer managed to pass through where it always stopped. The auto proxy was turned off for me by default, it could never be a problem but everybody was assuming that.

I hope this solves it for more people!

Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.