Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave install a disaster

My upgrade to Mojave has been an mitigated disaster. First I could not even get past the 90% or so marker (on the little bar) after the first installation. After waiting for what I thought as an inordinate amount of time I did a hard restart. After restart the screen immediately jumped to where it left off. So I did a hard rest and went into recovery mode. selected reinstall Mojave. Did the same thing; stopped at the 90% mark. I finally let it run over night. This was yesterday. This morning I when I looked at the screen it was at the Login screen. I tried logging in but it was so slow and painful. After every letter I typed the beachball would spin. Another weird thing was the account picture was still in its original place (it happened to be on the far left) but would “inch” closer to being over the text box with every letter I typed.

I was finally able to log in. The desktop loaded by slowly. I tried selecting an applicat to get a window. Nothing. Finally I was able to get the computer to shutdown.

After looking for some help I found a message with a link to a YouTube video. There were four recommendations: 1) Hard restart, 2) boot into safe mode, 3) zap the PRAM, 4) Recovery mode. I tried all three nothing really worked. Maybe a slight, and I mean slight, increase in speed. Now I am upgrading a MacPro with 2 quad-core processors. And I am upgrading fron 10.13.X. Finally tried Recoveray mode again.

When I finally get to the desktop the strangest thing is I have no communications. Under the grayed out Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar it says “No WiFi hardware installed.” The Network pane in Systems Preferences shows nothing connected to the two Ethernet ports. I am writing this on my IPad, so I know the house network works.

I am am at my wits end. I made a backup of the drive BEFORE I started the upgrade but I have no way of “slicking” the SSD drive so I can do a clean install.

i really could use some help!

iPhone 6 Plus, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 5:50 AM

SUCCESS! In fact the following did work and enabled me to sucessfully upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave resolving all issues. IMPORTANT: Make sure your spacing is correct when typing ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf into the Terminal.

A. If you can log in (even if slow), or you're still on High Sierra, and have not yet upgraded, follow these instructions:

1. Start the terminal app from Applications/Utilities

2. Check if the file exists, by typing

ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf

If this returns a result like the following, then the file exists. If it does not, then your issues are caused by something else

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 136 24 Nov 2013 /etc/sysctl.conf

3. Simply rename the file by typing in: sudo mv /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.bak

(You’ll be prompted for your password)

4. Restart your computer, and you should be all set, or if you've rolled back to High Sierra, you should be good to attempt the upgrade again.

100 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2018 5:50 AM in response to dmauch

SUCCESS! In fact the following did work and enabled me to sucessfully upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave resolving all issues. IMPORTANT: Make sure your spacing is correct when typing ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf into the Terminal.

A. If you can log in (even if slow), or you're still on High Sierra, and have not yet upgraded, follow these instructions:

1. Start the terminal app from Applications/Utilities

2. Check if the file exists, by typing

ls -l /etc/sysctl.conf

If this returns a result like the following, then the file exists. If it does not, then your issues are caused by something else

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 136 24 Nov 2013 /etc/sysctl.conf

3. Simply rename the file by typing in: sudo mv /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.bak

(You’ll be prompted for your password)

4. Restart your computer, and you should be all set, or if you've rolled back to High Sierra, you should be good to attempt the upgrade again.

Oct 18, 2018 9:16 AM in response to Lawrence Perry

*The Mid-2010 and Mid-2012 Mac Pro models only support macOS Mojave (10.14) if they have a video card that supports Metal. Apple reports that these video cards are compatible with macOS Mojave:

Site sponsor OWC sells the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition.

The Mac also needs to be running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later, have 2 GB of RAM or more installed, and have at least 12.5 GB of free storage if you are upgrading from OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or least 18.5 GB of free storage if you are upgrading from an earlier version of the operating system.

Sep 25, 2018 5:37 PM in response to WilliamL

If you have a time machine back up, you can restore from it after doing this. I would go with Cmd+R.

The 2nd option would try to install Mojave again and the 3rd will install whatever was on your machine when you first got it.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

Oct 8, 2018 11:25 AM in response to dmauch

Finally found a solution, thanks to this post: Re: Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

If you're booting from a usb drive, make sure to edit the file on the right volume. My MBP is now back to being healthy and working perfectly on Mojave... with WiFi!

TL;DR - on the native drive (/Volumes/Macintosh HD), got to /etc/ and rename the sysctl.conf file, reboot and voila!

Oct 30, 2018 5:51 PM in response to WilliamL

I tried many things on this page for my older Imac with the symptoms described above. Hosed.

My final solution was to

1. erase disk

2 Reinstall High Sierra from USB ( tricker because my only other computer was on Mojave)

3. restore my backup filed from time before the Mojave upgrade attemps.

How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Nov 18, 2018 5:48 AM in response to raddeo

Back in October, I posted the following on another thread. Quirkz and appleuser are the ones that saved all of us!!! After repeated calls to Apple techs and no fixes, I came across Quirkz’s thread, tried it, and lo and behold, it worked for me. Since it was so effective in remedying my issues, I decided to post it on multiple threads on which posters were describing their various issues with Mojave. I still find it rather amazing if not disappointing that Apple techs apparently have chosen not to broadcast the same. I delighted that others have had the same success that I did.

Oct 12, 2018 3:46 PM Re: Problems upgrading to macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro 2018in response to picklebreath

Quirkz and the appleuser on another thread get the credit, not I. I simply tried it out, refined their posted instruction a bit and it worked. It is THEY who get the credit and thanks, not I.

Sep 25, 2018 6:06 PM in response to WilliamL

I had almost the exact same issue, and I'm on a iMac only a year old! Bought June 2017 right after the new ones came out! This should not be happening, but is. Every single thing you had from the slow login, to the no wifi.

I was going to attempt installing again, but now after reading this board I think it's best to wait for the next update of Mojave when they have their act together.

Sep 25, 2018 6:12 PM in response to RDustinC

I would go back to your most recent backup dude! That's why I always do a time machine backup after making any sort of change and definitely before upgrading any OS. I happen to have a 5th gen Time Capsule so I don't have to plug in a drive every time. I think doing the same thing is possible with routers with USB ports. It's a lot more convenient since I would by too lazy to plug in an external all the time.

Mojave install a disaster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.