Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Related Article

If you see the alert 'Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured'

Question:

Question: No Boot Camp on Mojave??? ***?

I don't understand why I must lose productivity on my late 2012 iMac with a 3TB drive. Does Mojave have independent capabilities to use Windows 10 that doesn't require Boot Camp? Will Boot Camp be updated to work with my system? Why was this never included in Apple's broadcast as a limiting factor? Why does Apple claim that Mojave is fine on a late 2012 iMac but the installation fails because of Apple's own Boot Camp?

I'm confused.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iMac late 2012

Posted on

Page content loaded

Sep 24, 2018 4:13 PM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

Apparently it's the 3TB fusion drive which I have and Apple has chosen not to support it. Glad to hear yours works fine, but according to Apple support, they don't plan to support the 2012 3TB drive. The 3TB drive is still a purchase option on a brand new 27" iMac right now, so I remain perplexed--and ticked off.

Sep 24, 2018 4:13 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 24, 2018 4:20 PM in response to Trav1230 In response to Trav1230

Sorry you're ticked off. My guess is the drive in a 2012 iMac and the one in a 2018 iMac aren't the same. It's no doubt a hardware issue and I can't see Apple retrofitting 6 year old iMac's drives so a few people can run Boot Camp. I could be wrong. In the meantime you could run Windows as a virtual machine.

Sep 24, 2018 4:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 24, 2018 4:48 PM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

Well, the other tidbit on the 3TB drive is that Apple replaced all of the original ones in a retrofit program a couple of years ago. So, it's not really a 6 year old drive, but it is the one Apple chose to put in all our systems. The drive is fine, as is the rest of my system (setting aside obsolescent nVidia GPU). I remain bemused why Apple would orphan my specific configuration, which was the top of the line when I bought it. Oh well, I will have to decide whether to press forward without Boot Camp, buy an emulator and hope it actually works, or go buy a Windows PC (shudder.) Thanks for your thoughts.

Sep 24, 2018 4:48 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 24, 2018 5:03 PM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

Here's the error. Looks pretty specific:

If you see the alert 'Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured'

If you have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with a 3TB hard drive, you must remove its Boot Camp partition before you can install macOS Mojave 10.14. After you upgrade to macOS Mojave, you won't be able to use Boot Camp to install Windows on this Mac.

The alert "Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured" appears only when you try to install macOS Mojave 10.14 on iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) that has a 3TB hard drive with an existing Boot Camp partition.

To install macOS Mojave on this iMac, first back up your Windows data, then use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Boot Camp partition. After the Boot Camp partition is gone, you can install macOS Mojave.

If you install macOS Mojave on this iMac, you won't be able to use Boot Camp to install Windows.

Published Date: September 24, 2018

Sep 24, 2018 5:03 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 24, 2018 6:15 PM in response to Trav1230 In response to Trav1230

It's fairly asinine that Apple couldn't accommodate this specific configuration. If I were you, I'd stick with High Sierra. I'm running a Mac Pro 5,1 with High Sierra and I've seen too many horror stories today that would directly affect me, most notably the fact that my wireless card would be useless after the "upgrade." Nope, no thanks.

Sep 24, 2018 6:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 12:32 AM in response to Trav1230 In response to Trav1230

I feel you so much. I got the late 2012 configuration with highest specs so it can endure the next decade. It still does. At the same time, I use bootcamp for specific windows stuff (Streaming, some games, some windows specific apps) and I need to keep bootcamp for this.

So. Seems like there's not gonna be a Mojave Update for me. Sad. 😟

Sep 25, 2018 12:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 6, 2018 12:06 PM in response to Trav1230 In response to Trav1230

Seems odd that 3TB seems to be a magic number,

be it HDD or Fusion, for those trying to install Mojave on such

systems that have a Bootcamp installation are having problems

of some sort or another.

No solution, just an observation.

Oct 6, 2018 12:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 11, 2018 1:57 AM in response to woodmeister50 In response to woodmeister50

This is very irritating. I have a 3TB 27inch machine which is late 2013 so according to Apple's blurb this should be OK. But, as others have reported, it's only when you work through the update that you are told BootCamp will not be supported. That's very poor. Why not say it upfront? I don't want to lose my Windows partition for just one simulation -FSX.

Like others, when I bought this system I thought i was future proof and indeed Apple advised me to buy it for that reason. It seems it's not.

Disappointing!

Oct 11, 2018 1:57 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 11, 2018 2:03 AM in response to jamesfromweybridge In response to jamesfromweybridge

jamesfromweybridge wrote:

Like others, when I bought this system I thought i was future proof and indeed Apple advised me to buy it for that reason.

There's no such thing as "future proof". I seriously doubt anyone from Apple would say such a thing.

Oct 11, 2018 2:03 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Trav1230

Question: No Boot Camp on Mojave??? ***?