Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Boot Camp on Mojave??? ***?

I don't understand why I must lose productivity on my late 2012 iMac with a 3TB drive. Does Mojave have independent capabilities to use Windows 10 that doesn't require Boot Camp? Will Boot Camp be updated to work with my system? Why was this never included in Apple's broadcast as a limiting factor? Why does Apple claim that Mojave is fine on a late 2012 iMac but the installation fails because of Apple's own Boot Camp?

I'm confused.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iMac late 2012

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 3:47 PM

59 replies

Nov 27, 2018 9:49 AM in response to tineketover

tineketover wrote:

Is there a chance that Apple will fix this issue eventually as it did when the 3 TB drive was first introduced on the late 2012 iMac, or are there incompatibilities that cannot be fixed?

The 2012 Macs are preUEFI. The first UEFI Macs are late 2013. preUEFI Macs use a Hybrid MBR to mimic a BIOS disk layout, which has two limitations

• 32-bit numbers for partition sizes, which limits the size to 2TB
  • Four (4) entries in an MBR

On a 3TB disk, you can have two layouts

• Sandwich - macOS(Part1)+Windows(<1TB)+macOS(Part2) - This uses CoreStorage. Not supported on APFS, because there is no equivalent partitioning methodology. APFS does not support more than 2 disk partitions.
  • Non-Sandwich - macOS (<2TB)+Windows>1TB+). This can be supported on APFS and is used on non-3TB disks and 3TB Fusion disks. Apple chose not to pursue this path, but a user is free to choose this method, but BC Assistant is not designed to support this, which implies manual partitioning.

tineketover wrote:

It is certainly bad, as I thought I had a future proof system, especially with the 3 TB replacement drive a few years ago.

See dialabrain's 'Future-Proof' comment. Apple would be out of business if they did not sell new 'features' to you.

tineketover wrote:

It would be good to explain what APFS conversion entails (what does it mean) as this apparently interferes with bootcamp and time machine.

It depends on what you call 'interfers'. 😉

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

See if your Mac shares space across APFS volumes in System Information - Apple Support

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

About Apple File System | Apple Developer Documentation

https://developer.apple.com/support/apple-file-system/Apple-File-System-Referenc e.pdf

If you need more reading material, please ask.

Oct 22, 2018 4:43 PM in response to Trav1230

I have a Mac Pro mid 2012 and Boot Camp was working fine on High Sierra, I use Window 7 ultimate on a separate disk for gaming.

I have now installed Mojave v 10.14 and the Boot Camp assistant doesn't work any more.

I have this message.

User uploaded file

My Window drive doesn't show on reboot with Alt key pressed, neither it appear's on system pref > Choose startup disk.

The only thing that hase changed is Mac OS: (High Sierra -> Mojave), so I think Mojave is the only culprit !

cd

Sep 24, 2018 5:03 PM in response to dialabrain

Here's the error. Looks pretty specific:

If you see the alert 'Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured'

If you have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with a 3TB hard drive, you must remove its Boot Camp partition before you can install macOS Mojave 10.14. After you upgrade to macOS Mojave, you won't be able to use Boot Camp to install Windows on this Mac.

The alert "Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured" appears only when you try to install macOS Mojave 10.14 on iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) that has a 3TB hard drive with an existing Boot Camp partition.

To install macOS Mojave on this iMac, first back up your Windows data, then use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Boot Camp partition. After the Boot Camp partition is gone, you can install macOS Mojave.

If you install macOS Mojave on this iMac, you won't be able to use Boot Camp to install Windows.

Published Date: September 24, 2018

Sep 24, 2018 4:48 PM in response to dialabrain

Well, the other tidbit on the 3TB drive is that Apple replaced all of the original ones in a retrofit program a couple of years ago. So, it's not really a 6 year old drive, but it is the one Apple chose to put in all our systems. The drive is fine, as is the rest of my system (setting aside obsolescent nVidia GPU). I remain bemused why Apple would orphan my specific configuration, which was the top of the line when I bought it. Oh well, I will have to decide whether to press forward without Boot Camp, buy an emulator and hope it actually works, or go buy a Windows PC (shudder.) Thanks for your thoughts.

Oct 11, 2018 1:57 AM in response to woodmeister50

This is very irritating. I have a 3TB 27inch machine which is late 2013 so according to Apple's blurb this should be OK. But, as others have reported, it's only when you work through the update that you are told BootCamp will not be supported. That's very poor. Why not say it upfront? I don't want to lose my Windows partition for just one simulation -FSX.

Like others, when I bought this system I thought i was future proof and indeed Apple advised me to buy it for that reason. It seems it's not.

Disappointing!

Oct 11, 2018 2:20 AM in response to dialabrain

OK. Perhaps my language was a little looser than it should have been. But I recall the conversation clearly - I bought directly from Apple in March 2014 - and I was assured that the system was the best option for someone who wanted a machine which would last as long as possible as new operating systems came out. Four and a half years doesn't seem very long to my bank account!

No Boot Camp on Mojave??? ***?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.