Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"com.apple.fonts" popup

Anytime that i open up an application I always get a popup prompt that reads

"com.apple.fonts" wants access to control [Application Name]. Allowing control will provide access to documents and date in [Application Name], and to perform actions within that app.

It's starting to get really annoying and I have looked everywhere online for solutions on how to get rid of this popup, but i have had absolutely no luck.

User uploaded file

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 3:24 PM

28 replies

Sep 28, 2018 6:04 PM in response to j2529

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that might help ...

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 31, 2018 10:15 AM in response to Kevin Kliesch

Kevin Kliesch wrote:

Forgot to mention that I tried that per the request of the Apple senior rep. Did not experience the problem in safe mode, but then after rebooting back into my main account, the problem was back again.

That indicates that it's some 3rd party software that's causing the problem. Download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2018 5:56 PM in response to j2529

Happening here as well. Called Apple support and spoke to a Senior Advisor who witnessed the problem through taking control of my screen. He then escalated the problem to engineering. Sent them my Capture Data info and am waiting to hear back. Interesting to note that the problem doesn't happen if I create a new test Admin account and login to that.

Sep 29, 2018 8:40 AM in response to Gabriel of Toronto

That was a great suggestion. I created a test Admin account, logged into that, searched for "com.apple.fonts" and deleted it then logged back into my main account and the problem was gone. Hope it doesn't cause any other problems in the system, although I remember the Senior Advisor asking me to delete the file anyway, so it should be all good.

Sep 29, 2018 10:53 AM in response to Gabriel of Toronto

I've tried deleting it straight up off my computer, but every time that i try and move it to the trash it will not let me because it says that it is running.

Tried creating a test Admin account and get rid of it that way, but the problem popped up there too and not able to do anything.

Edit: I just went into the test Admin account again, renamed the file and then i was able to delete it.

Now the problem of the popup is gone on my main account. Fingers crossed it stays gone for good.

Oct 4, 2018 5:01 PM in response to j2529

I'm in the middle of helping a friend with this issue, and I think I have arrived at a disturbing conclusion: I think it's a covert key logger. If you look inside the com.apple.fonts.app bundle, the info.plist file contains this URL: http://www.widestep.com/fdbck/emailstore/submit.php?application=EliteKeyloggerMa c

First, in Terminal, run:

sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.fonts.plist

Then, if the com.apple.fonts.plist process is still running, kill it in Activity Monitor or terminal.

And of course, run an anti-malware tool, and assume you've been compromised and change passwords.

Oct 5, 2018 3:09 AM in response to Antonio Tejada

I found the same thing - looks like a keylogger. Sophos picked it up and removed it for me.

As for the large file inside (binary.dat), it had a MIME type of image/jpeg so i renamed to jpg and found it was a screenshot...from 2014.

I cannot see any queries being made to the domain in question when looking at DNS and firewall logs, so not sure on whether it was active or not.

Oct 22, 2018 11:50 AM in response to j2529

Its a shame that Apple keeps putting out new OS systems and then has the rest of the world solve problems like this. It makes me wish Jobs was still here to make this the quality product that it use to be. Same issue here loaded Majave and now the constant pop up that interupts all my work all the time. Where are the Apple software engineers>

Oct 22, 2018 5:43 PM in response to JVo320

Dude. The security messages are doing exactly what they’re supposed to be doing: stopping a security threat. You have malware on your system. Did you even read the solution on here? It tells you how to get rid of it.

Apple’s engineering didn’t fail, it’s literally the exact contrary: they built us a much more secure system, and it’s exposing (and indeed, stopping) malicious software!

Oct 22, 2018 7:03 PM in response to Antonio Tejada

Oh DUDE you are so wrong. This site has nothing to do with Apple software engineers. Its a community of "user" offering solution that many times create worse problems. The solutions offered above describe the issue but the solutions are all questioned by other "users". So no way am I trying an amateur fix that will cause more problems. So dude. Go back into your hackers closet and let real professionals fix this for people. And its Dr. Dude to you. Maybe I'll see you in one of my classes. 🙂

"com.apple.fonts" popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.