Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Login Issues

I installed Mojave on a brand new MacBook Pro and after the installation process, the initial login screen accepts my credentials, shows the desktop for 5-10 seconds, then goes back to login. Every subsequent login attempt produces the same result, including in Safe Mode.

I spoke with Apple via support chat about it today, and we tried reinstalling Mojave. No dice. We then booted into recovery mode, launched Disk Utility to mount the drive, then Terminal to remove "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone" and reboot. That sent me back to the setup process after install. I created another user and had exactly the same issue with that user. They have escalated the issue and I have a call with them in two hours.

Any recommendations?

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 7:46 AM

In my case, the error was caused by a Razer Plugin.

Boot into recovery mode (Cmd + R while booting), then start a terminal (menubar->utilities as far as i remember), go to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ and remove every Razer Plugin.

(Thanks to Betus at MacRumors)

Similar questions

62 replies

Sep 24, 2018 10:37 PM in response to OliverMarcus

I figured I can still login from ssh, so I checked for the log. If I followed the timing of the crash correctly, this here might be related to what's going on:

Sep 25 00:27:55 thalia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.audio.coreaudiod[3126]): Binary is improperly signed. Sep 25 00:27:55 thalia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.audio.coreaudiod): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds. Sep 25 00:27:55 thalia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit Sep 25 00:27:56 thalia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.AddressBook.abd): Service only ran for 3 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 7 seconds. Sep 25 00:27:57 thalia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.loginwindow[2789]): Binary is improperly signed.

Could it be that something is off with some new security feature?

By the way, the instructions to activate safe mode via sudo nvram boot-args="-x -v" in ssh on https://support.apple.com/sl-si/HT201262 don't work...that gives (iokit/common) not permitted (and using the shift key never worked on my setup).

Sep 24, 2018 11:47 PM in response to recd

Praise be to the Spirit of Jobs...it seems I fixed it.

On examination of the output of dmesg (via ssh) right after the crash I saw the line

Library Validation failed: Rejecting '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SoundBunny.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SoundBunny' (Team ID: none, platform: no) for process 'callservicesd(1931)' (Team ID: none, platform: yes), reason: mapped file has no Team ID and is not a platform binary (signed with custom identity or adhoc?)

So I removed this by saying, again via ssh

sudo mv /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SoundBunny.plugin/ ~

and that seems to have fixed it.

My best guess is that coreaudio trying to load SoundBunny finds it improperly signed, which crashes CoreAudio (instead of simply not loading the module, which would be the correct behavior), which in turn crashes the entire login session. Not good.

I suspect that might happen with other libraries, too, so if you don't have SoundBunny, try examining the output of dmesg for the "Library Validation failed" line.

Sep 25, 2018 1:51 AM in response to OliverMarcus

I updated macbook pro 2017, Macbook Air early 2014 And iMac 2017

The iMac has this problem with constant logout.

Does this say anything to anyone?

dmesg:

kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedStarting poll type 4

Restarting poll type 4

Command 0x1100 completed. inCount: 2 data:0x0Failed to read key . rc:0x84

Failed to read key . rc:0x84

Command 0x1200 completed. inCount: 2 data:0x0Failed to read key . rc:0x84

bfseventsd [1206]sb_user_approval: pid 1150 responsible for 1206sb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedsb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles for dbfseventsd [1206]sb_user_approval: pid 1150 responsible for 1206sb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedsb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles for dbfseventsd [1206]sb_user_approval: pid 1150 responsible for 1206sb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedsb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles for dbfseventsd [1206]sb_user_approval: pid 1150 responsible for 1206sb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedsb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles for dbfseventsd [1206]sb_user_approval: pid 1150 responsible for 1206sb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles satisifed from cache for pid 1206: not approvedsb_user_approval: kTCCServiceSystemPolicyAllFiles for mds

Sep 25, 2018 8:08 AM in response to Timleeclark1

Yup - you'll do the following:

1. Reboot into Recovery Mode (while rebooting hold down CMD-R until you see the Apple logo and progress bar).

2. You will boot to a Utilities view. Launch Disk Utility, select the drive you installed Mojave on, then select File > Mount.

3. Quit Disk Utility.

4. From the Utilities drop down menu at the top of the screen, select Terminal.

You can now access your drive using Terminal to delete the razer software.

Sep 26, 2018 7:47 AM in response to thomjacoo

As has been discussed here, the offending plugin is likely one of the third party audio plugins in the directory specified. For me and for many others, it was software from Razer, but other third party audio plugins have also produced the problem.

So you'll need to cd to the directory and list it's contents to identify which plugin(s) may be at fault. From there you can remove them by name.

Mojave Login Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.