Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages 4.3 and Mojave …

Mojave will be 64 bits (whatever that means).

Pages 4.3 is 32 bits, as I understand.

is there a possibility that pages 4.3 will work under Mojave?

If not, is it possible to install Mojave on a partition?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 2.7 GHz intel i5 core 27 inch

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 4:30 PM

55 replies

Sep 25, 2018 2:42 PM in response to patrickindenver

Although Pages '09 installed from the DVD places its own dependent frameworks (libraries) into System locations, it also uses some System libraries from the current operating system. In the case of Mojave, it is likely that those System libraries are imposing compabillity issues with the old code.

Reinstallation of the retail iWork '09 DVD, followed by the iWork 9.3 update carries no assurance that this effort will cure the Mojave issue with Pages '09 v4.3. It is worth a try, but don't be surprised at the outcome.

Sep 25, 2018 2:52 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Although Pages '09 installed from the DVD places its own dependent frameworks (libraries) into System locations, it also uses some System libraries from the current operating system. In the case of Mojave, it is likely that those System libraries are imposing compabillity issues with the old code.

Reinstallation of the retail iWork '09 DVD, followed by the iWork 9.3 update carries no assurance that this effort will cure the Mojave issue with Pages '09 v4.3. It is worth a try, but don't be surprised at the outcome.

removing these files would not work? (just thinking, not hindered by any knowledge …)

Sep 24, 2018 8:20 PM in response to Jo!

I installed the released version of Mojave this evening, and lauched Pages '09 v4.3. In the Template chooser, I selected the blank template, and it went into a perpetual spinning vortex. Tried it again after a Safe Boot, and selecting a blank template still has this problem. Pages '09 v4.3 will not open existing documents created by it.

Tomorrow, I will reinstall from the iWork '09 DVD, and apply the iWork 9.3 updater, just in case some of the dependent iWork '09 libraries got stepped on by the Mojave installation.

Sep 25, 2018 4:25 AM in response to Jo!

Pages '09 v4.3 will launch normally, but will hang when attempting to create a new document from any (including custom) template, or attempting to open any documents previously created by this specific application. That includes via the File Chooser, Open With sub-menu, or drag and drop of the document onto the application icon.

Ironically, Numbers '09 v2.3 will launch and open a blank spreadsheet template.

It isn't even light here yet, so I won't know what the verdict is on Pages '09 until after a reinstallation and update.

Sep 25, 2018 6:41 AM in response to VikingOSX

I'm having the same trouble. I didn't realize (prior to "upgrading" to Mojave) that Pages 4.3, being a 32 bit app, would not be supported. I can open my documents using Pages 7.2, but I prefer the earlier version, and am not very happy about this. It seems that, as with hardware, Apple insists on "innovating" by subtraction, removing choice or features. Not onboard with that.

Sep 25, 2018 6:48 AM in response to patrickindenver

Mojave is not prohibiting 32-bit applications, but it is supposed to pop a warning dialog that you are using a 32-bit application. I am surprised that this did not happen with the launching of Pages '09 v4.3.

Mojave is the last operating system release that will support 32-bit applications. In Fall 2019, with the release of 10.15, 32-bit applications will not be supported at all.

Sep 25, 2018 12:42 PM in response to John Dotson

Well John, Apple gave us all a heads-up when they retired this product in 2013. Since then, it has been used against borrowed time. Somewhere in this house, and apparently in hiding, is my iWork '09 DVD that I was going to reinstall onto Mojave to see if it would resolve anything.

As I have the iWork '09 suite installed in multiple other machines, its not working in Mojave is not a show-stopper for me.

Sep 25, 2018 12:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Mojave is not prohibiting 32-bit applications, but it is supposed to pop a warning dialog that you are using a 32-bit application. I am surprised that this did not happen with the launching of Pages '09 v4.3.

Yes I read that too. So, technically, it should work?

In the previous Os pages 4.3 had som problems which disappeared somewhere along the small updates.

Maybe that will happen this time? crossing fingers …

VikingOSX wrote:

Mojave is the last operating system release that will support 32-bit applications. In Fall 2019, with the release of 10.15, 32-bit applications will not be supported at all.

yeah, that is a major problem. I still use 4.3 simply because it has functionality that the newer version does not have. Mailmerge is one of them, among other things. Also I hate the integrated tool windows.

I have mentioned Numbers. There too: Categories is a major missing link in the new version, I use it all the time.

It is a serious problem. Do I hold back en entire Os, or do I compromise my workflow to (partly) stone-ages.
I Am still hoping that an upgrade of iWork will show these features.

Sep 25, 2018 12:59 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Well John, Apple gave us all a heads-up when they retired this product in 2013. Since then, it has been used against borrowed time. Somewhere in this house, and apparently in hiding, is my iWork '09 DVD that I was going to reinstall onto Mojave to see if it would resolve anything.

of course, … borrowed 'time'. But that is one way of looking. Apple managed to screw their best software in this league and only meagrely repaired it over time.

The new suit is not all bad of course and has some nice features. Still it is not why I use it (and many people with me, as I found out over time).

It would be very helpful if you could find this install disk and see if reinstalling it would make a difference.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

pages 4.3 and Mojave …

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.