Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 slow after iOS 12 update

My iPad started being slow once I updated to the new iOS 12 update. When I’m searching online its slow to load the content. I’ve restarted my iPad various times but the problem persists. I’ve also tried restarting my WiFi modem hoping it just needed a boost, but no luck there. My sister also has the same problem with her iPad (2017 generation). I also don’t have a lot of apps downloaded.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 5:22 PM

48 replies

Oct 22, 2018 5:37 PM in response to ShagCA

Well,

iOS 12 IS supposed to run faster on older iDevices all the way back to the iPhone 5S, which Apple introduced 5 years, ago.

Your 1st gen iPad Air is now 5 years old, too!

Have you tried putting ALL of my iPad performance improving tips that I recommend older iPad users put to use?

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together. Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

Oct 22, 2018 5:36 PM in response to Yggoric

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together. Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

Oct 24, 2018 7:22 AM in response to Yggoric

If you have a computer with a fairly current OS and iTunes 12.6.5, you could try a backup of your iPad to iTunes, then do a restore of that data in iTunes to see if your iPad regains any free data storage space.

iTunes 12.6.5 found here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

iTunes 12.6.5 for the Mac requires OS X El Capitàn 10.11.4 or later. Not sure of the Windows PC system requirements.

Dec 21, 2018 4:56 PM in response to ArthurMafra

Once again,

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

Jan 2, 2019 11:21 AM in response to ShagCA

Yes, iOS 11 was total garbage.

I avoided it like a scourge to my iDevices. IOS 11 was FAR worse than iOS 8, which is the one I avoided, as well, and why I think my 7-year old iPad 2 is running iOS 9 so much better than anyone else that had installed iOS 8 previously on older iPad 2 and 3 models before upgrading to iOS 9.

Both iOS 8 and 9 , for most iPad 2 users, really hurt the performance of that device.

My iPad 2 seemed to fare a lot better on iOS 9 by simply skipping iOS 8.

On my iPad Pro, I waited, pretty much to end of iOS 10’s update cycle to update and my iPad Pro is been running very well with it!

Not ready to give that performance and stability up for two very bug-laden iOS versions that came after.

Although iOS 12 seems to be better of these two.

Maybe “lucky iOS 13” will be the ticket for me and my three year old iPad Pro.

See, I am willing to wait out these problematic iOS versions until I think something better has, finally, made it!.

I am tired of Apple making the general public its beta testers.

It’s that simple for me.

Have you done anything to help improve the performance of that iPad Air 2 on iOS 11?

Why not just acquiesce and perform ALL of my perofmance tips in my user tips that I post on a regular basis.

Whaddya got to lose at this point.

There maybe items in my user tip that you haven’ t tried or put to complete use.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Oct 3, 2018 2:09 PM in response to MichelPM

Hi.. I have the same issue as well and found this posting using a Google search.

I also have the iPad Air 2 with 64GB and I was on the iOS 12 public beta.

The issue seems to happen after the device goes into sleep mode.

It wakes up, takes longer than usual to connect to WiFi and most apps will crash

I've even seen my Bluetooth status appear as "Unavailable" before changing to "On"

Doing a hard reset seems to be the only way to resolve this temporarily.

I'll keep watching here for other posts and will update if the next patch resolves this.

Oct 14, 2018 11:12 AM in response to Lintott

Actually, Apple stated the iOS 12 was going to be more of a bug fix release and Apple was going to fix most of the outstanding issues iOS 11 still had and to make iOS 12 more stable.

The only are only a few things that would make certain things in iOS 12 appear faster, like app launching and launching of iPhone/iPad's cameras and one or two other UI enhancements that elude my memory at the moment.

Oct 22, 2018 12:39 PM in response to MichelPM

I have an iPad Air 1 and I just deleted all apps including Facebook, Messenger, Skype, Photos, GarageBand, Weather, Music, simply ALL EXCEPT SAFARI. And my iPad is still unusable! I can’t surfing on the internet! They should tell us iOS 12 isn’t for old devices not the opposite! On iOS 11 my iPad Air 1 was working perfect comparing to 12! Of course on iPhone7 and 8 plus, iOS is working, but I want my iPad back without complicating and researching the best way how to install some older of iOS back! I have iPad for reason, so what if it’s old! I think it’s enough that every year I’m buying Apple expensive iPhones. I was considering to go from PC to Mac, because I was really satisfied with my old iPad until now and iPad Air was a main reason I went from Android to iOS. But it seems Apple is not what it used to be.

Oct 22, 2018 2:04 PM in response to Lintott

Lintott wrote:

I recall Apple stressing this update would make older phones and iPads faster not slower....

No companies in the whole world would claim their new operating systems slower than the old one. If you believe their claim, you have not learned any lesson from history. Newer operating systems will absolutely slow down old device. There is no question about that. I kinda wish iPad Air isn't compatible with iOS 12. I'm afraid that someday when I factory reset my iPad Air, iOS 12 will kill it. I'm still running 11 right now and yes it is laggy compared to earlier versions. I won't touch iOS 12 until it is time to sell my iPad (if I can still sell it).

Oct 23, 2018 9:25 AM in response to ShagCA

Why the attititude?

We are ALL users here doing the same things here.

Helping other users.

I am just trying to help you, now, with your slowness with your own iPad Air.

You are obviously having some sort of issue.

I am just asking you to review my list to see if it checks off everything you have done.

Have you done a complete erase and restore, using iTunes or iCloud of your iPad Air since installing iOS 11?

Also, keep in mind, too, that a 1st gen iPad Air ONLY has 1 GB of internal RAM.

iPad Air 2 slow after iOS 12 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.