Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This device is already associated with an apple ID" when trying to play music linked to my account

So I just bought an iphone X and got it yesterday. I try to play music that I've bought previously on my old 5S yet it doesn't work and prompts that message. Its logged into my apple ID (hence how i got the music) so whats the issue? I'm confused.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 6:02 PM

I already contacted Apple support and had an online chat with the apple music team and they fixed it easily! Apparently the last user didn't fully remove their apple ID, which is Odd because i was able to setup and login with my apple ID. Which they also found weird. But yeah they removed it now and I can play my music now 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 6:02 PM in response to MoonJ.

I already contacted Apple support and had an online chat with the apple music team and they fixed it easily! Apparently the last user didn't fully remove their apple ID, which is Odd because i was able to setup and login with my apple ID. Which they also found weird. But yeah they removed it now and I can play my music now 🙂

Sep 25, 2018 4:33 PM in response to JarrodT3

Hello JarrodT3,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after receiving your new iPhone X that when you try to play music you receive an error saying, "This device is already associated with an Apple ID." If you have only used one Apple ID with the iPhone X since receiving it, then you may need to contact the seller as this error indicates another Apple ID has been associated with your device and purchases may not be able to be downloaded for 90 days.

The following article has information about the process of viewing and removing your associated devices in iTunes which you may find useful:

View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support

Best Regards.

"This device is already associated with an apple ID" when trying to play music linked to my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.