Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuttering and dropped frames during playback

I bit the bullet and upgraded to Final Cut Pro X last week after staring out with iMovie. Love all the great features, but I've been really disappointed in the performance of FCPX on my computer. When playing back the footage in my timeline, tons of frames are dropped resulting in jittery, stuttering video playback. If I play the same video back in Quicktime, for example, it plays fine, so it's not in the video itself.

I do have an older computer, but it was a top-of-the-line iMac at the time, here's the config:

User uploaded file

• iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
  • Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
  • Hard Drive: 1.12 TB Fusion Drive (280 GB available)
  • macOS Mojave, Version 10.14

I had this same performance problem in High Sierra before upgrading to Mojave today, but it's just the same in Mojave. The video clip I'm editing is fairly short, about 4 minutes, and was recorded on an iPhone 6 in HD (1920 x 1080) 24fps, and is stored on the internal Fusion hard drive. iMovie worked pretty smoothly on this same computer.

I know my iMac is getting close to 7 years old, but it still works well for all other apps, and the huge screen looks great still. Is my Mac the problem, or is there something I can do to optimize playback in FCPX? I still have 2 memory slots available in my iMac, could this lagging problem be eliminated if I added another 16GB of RAM for a total of 32GB of RAM?

User uploaded file

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to improve video playback performance of FCPX on my computer?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), MacBook Air, iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:50 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 25, 2018 12:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Oh no, why is the disk known as devil's spawn? So far I haven't had any problems with it.

According to Disk Utility, the file system on my Fusion drive was changed to APFS, is that good?

User uploaded file

My iMac 27 has these connections:

User uploaded file

• Four USB 3 ports
  • Two Thunderbolt ports

Is Thunderbolt better than USB 3 for an external drive? Would a fast external disk really fix the dropped frames during playback? If you have any recommendations for Thunderbolt or USB 3 external drives good for doing video editing, would love to hear them, thanks!

Sep 25, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Although Thunderbolt is better on paper, depending on what drive you use it is quite likely that you will not notice a big difference.

Do you mean a faster drive likely won't make a difference in the performance of FCPX, or that there won't be much difference between a USB3 and Thunderbolt external drive?

If a better, faster external drive will improve the timeline video playback in FCPX, then I'll definitely get one because it's a LOT cheaper than buying a new iMac.

Can you or anyone else recommend a good external drive that is about 4T?

Stuttering and dropped frames during playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.