Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An update is required to activate your iphone

not activate my iphone

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 6:35 PM

I can help i hav solution

64 replies

Dec 30, 2018 4:58 PM in response to shiva205

Got an IPhone 7 from a friend, but the screen wasn't turning on. Decided to get it fixed at the mall, and it was good. She hadn't deleted any of her stuff off it, so I reset it and that's when I ran into trouble. It was unable to activate because the activation servers were down, so I hooked it up to ITunes using the ITunes recovery method, and it totally bricked the phone.

I called Apple, and they were no help, everywhere I looked basically had the same message - Apple has to replace it.

Well, I tried to update it multiple times, and it did, but I still got the same message. I gave it a rest and tried again the next day, and whilst it was 'updating' I hard reset it and ITunes restarted the update. Well, it worked - kind of. After being on the 'Update to Activate' screen for days, I got it back to the original issue I had, which was that the activation servers were down.

I tried restarting my computer multiple times, and it didn't help. It was hard resetting it once it was updating through ITunes that got it out of that loop. Either way, I have a paper weight at this point, but at least I found a way to get passed the annoying update to activate BS. I called Apple support again to ask them what to do with my original problem, and they told me to get another sim card from my carrier.

If anyone knows how to fix the 'Activation servers are down' issue, that'd be helpful. As to the original question here, try hard resetting the phone while updating through ITunes.

Sep 30, 2018 8:57 AM in response to pedramfromhürth

If you are activating using iTunes there is an iTunes update required for iOS 12. There should be a button on your computer to install the update. If there isn't reboot your computer and restart iTunes, then try to update using iTunes. You should get a prompt to install the update. It's a small update and should only take a few seconds.

An update is required to activate your iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.