Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight disappear while typing: Not Solved

I've been searching for what is causing my searches to disappear mid query. Oddly, I have not updated to the latest OSX10.13.6 on the machine that is experiencing this issue.

I suspect this may be related to the latest security updates rather than an OS upgrade as I've updated several machines from a 2010MBP SSD, 2016 iMac Rotational, and a 2017 iMac hybrid drive. The only one that has this issue is my 2013 iMac27 inch (10.12.6 (16G1510) iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) that also has a hybrid drive but I do not want to upgraded the OS just yet.

I cannot figure out what or which startup apps or applications that I'm running may be diverting the OS attention but I have identified movement in the top right menu icons and it looks like the spotlight icon disappears at the same time and just after my search is gone, the icon returns to the menu. They seem to shuffle at the exact moment the search disappears. It is frustrating as spotlight is an essential part of my workflows as a CS lab teacher.

It would be nice if someone could figure it out.

Thanks,

Jeff

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 27inch3.5GHzIntelCorei7_32GBRamGTX780M4096MB

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies

Oct 8, 2018 10:10 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi,

Thanks, that most certainly stopped the spotlight interference. Sadly, I do need the bookmark and history synchronization. Updating this machine will necessitate updating two labs of iMacs. That will not be fun because every update generates a whole bunch of extra work to keep backup workflows and other 3rd party software updates to work with a new file system.

For Now, it is going to be turning on bookmark and history in spotlight before leaving for the day.

Thanks again,

Jeff

spotlight disappear while typing: Not Solved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.