Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity Camera not working with my iPhone 6 Plus

I have an iMac working with the new Mojave OSX. My iPhone is on iOS12. I have been trying to use the new Continuity Camera facility without success. Briefly I have both on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled and working on both devices i.e. connected on my iPhone and Connected to my Network on my iMac. Handoff is enabled on both devices. When I try to import from Pages on my iMac by selecting my iPhone the Camera App does not open on my iPhone. Eventually it just times out. What makes it strange is that using the exact same setup with my iPad works perfectly.

Can anyone explain or suggest a way forward? Many thanks for any help.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 5:52 AM

Well it has suddenly worked! The only thing I did was to go to Bluetooth under Settings on the iPhone and used the Forget this Device facility for the Mac connection. I then switched off Bluetooth on the iPhone, then switched it back on again. It found my iMac and I connected. Everything then worked. Bit flaky really - we will see how long it lasts!

Hope this helps somebody.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 5:52 AM in response to Gareth Morris1

Well it has suddenly worked! The only thing I did was to go to Bluetooth under Settings on the iPhone and used the Forget this Device facility for the Mac connection. I then switched off Bluetooth on the iPhone, then switched it back on again. It found my iMac and I connected. Everything then worked. Bit flaky really - we will see how long it lasts!

Hope this helps somebody.

Oct 2, 2018 7:57 AM in response to Mark HK

Had this same issue. iPad Pro worked like a champ... iPhone X timed out. Here's what I finally did to get it working.

Did not work (alone)

Sign in/out of Apple ID account on Mac and iPhone

Use same (correct) Apple ID

Delete bluetooth plist

turn bluetooth and wifi on/off

Two-factor authentication on

Power cycled everything

What did work

I logged into Apple ID to check that two-factor was indeed on and noticed in connected devices that my iPhone name was not the normal name I had given it in the past. It had defaulted back to just "iPhone". Which is not how I name my devices and was not what my MacBook Pro had identified with the phone as previous to iOS 12. My guess is upgrading to iOS 12 made the change. (my Apple Pay and Apple Cash had also been removed)

Once I change my iPhone name back to what I normally had named it and power cycled everything just to make sure the system got that change. It worked. Name shown here in blue.

User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Gareth Morris1

Gareth Morris1 wrote:

I have an iMac working with the new Mojave OSX. My iPhone is on iOS12. I have been trying to use the new Continuity Camera facility without success. Briefly I have both on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled and working on both devices i.e. connected on my iPhone and Connected to my Network on my iMac. Handoff is enabled on both devices. When I try to import from Pages on my iMac by selecting my iPhone the Camera App does not open on my iPhone. Eventually it just times out. What makes it strange is that using the exact same setup with my iPad works perfectly.

Can anyone explain or suggest a way forward? Many thanks for any help.

Are you using or enabled 2 factor authentication Use Continuity Camera on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2018 1:02 AM in response to BradJani

Many thanks to everyone for their replies. I have noticed this issue is being discussed across the Apple Communities site with no resolution as yet. The two factor authentication, sadly, does not seem to be the answer. The strange thing for me is that the exact same settings on my iPad (including 2 factor authentication on) works with no issue. Logically that indicates there must be a setting somewhere on the iPhone that is different, but as yet I cannot find it.

Sep 26, 2018 10:19 PM in response to Gareth Morris1

Solved for me. It was a pretty long workaround:

Switching wifi on and off/bluetooth on and off - no luck

I tried to sign out of iCloud on my iPhone and then back in still no luck.

I made sure I have a backup on iCloud, then went to settings>general>reset>reset all content and settings which eventually erased the entire phone, I then downloaded my backup and voila! continuity camera now works like a charm, but this entire process took like 40 minutes.

Good luck to everyone!

Sep 30, 2018 2:16 PM in response to Gareth Morris1

I have an iPad Pro 10" and an iPhone 7 Plus, both running iOS 12 GM installed a couple days after release. What I'm seeing is that the iPad Pro is always available to the continuity camera feature, but the iPhone appears sometimes, then disappears the next time, even when accessing the iPhone camera in back-to-back imports. Sometimes after a few minutes wait, the iPhone camera once again shows up. Sad to say, this features doesn't quite look like a feature one can rely on, it's still kind of a bug. 😠

Nov 13, 2018 11:14 AM in response to ManicTam

Follow the procedure by Derek above:

1) Sign in/out of Apple ID account on BOTH Mac and iPhone

- make sure you use the same (correct) Apple ID on both devices

2) Delete all the bluetooth items listed on both your Mac and iPhone (deselect each item)

3) turn bluetooth and wifi on/off on BOTH your Mac and iPhone

4) if you use iCloud / Apple Two-factor authentication for log-in, configure it on both your Mac and iPhone

5) Power cycled (restart) BOTH your Mac and iPhone

Continuity Camera not working with my iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.