Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes in Contacts Broken in iOS 12

I just recently updated our iPhones to iOS 12 and have found that the Notes field in Contacts is now unavailable to add or edit a note in Contacts. My wife and I both use this area for customers with our small businesses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:35 AM

29 replies

Feb 12, 2019 11:09 AM in response to Kathywohlfeld

I was having that issue on my 7Plus in iOS12. Most of the solutions shown here had no consistent effect.

What I eventually did requires that you have a Mac as well as an iPhone - I added my note in Contacts on my Mac,

which then synced itself to my iPhone contacts. If you have a Mac, and you're tired of 'Creative Tapping' and

'To Edit or Not to Edit 101', you might try that...

Feb 25, 2019 8:43 PM in response to planetwkr

I’m also still using the 6S+ and finally updated to iOS 12.1.4 from iOS 11 about a week ago, and today (2-25-‘19) had the same experience as others in this “thread” when attempting to include info in the “Notes” section as i was adding a new contact: hitting the “+” at the top right in “Contacts”, to add a new “contact” takes me to the same entry fields as hitting “Edit” at the top right in an already existing “contact”. Those entry fields allowed as before (pre-iOS 12) all the data to be entered to create a new “contact” or to edit an existing “contact” EXCEPT that the entry field for “Notes”, which WAS allowing editing in that field (while in “Edit”); but ONLY if the field already had had data entered. That is — IF the field was blank (as with an existing contact that hadn’t yet had any “Notes” included), OR (while in “+”), when creating a new “contact”, (since no data had yet been entered in ANY field) — in which cases the “Notes” field was not accommodating the entry of any “notes” at all. Again: all the “Edit” and “+” entry fields in “Contacts” worked as before iOS 12 (for me) EXCEPT “Notes”, no matter how many times i tapped on or below “Notes” as some suggested; or how many times i re-booted the device as others suggested. Finally, after reading what “Mneugarten” wrote in response to “arfedden” regarding mistakenly assuming a need to press “Edit” to edit “Notes” - i experimented with seeing whether it was possible to enter data in the “Notes” field without hitting “Edit” at all, by simply hitting “Notes” in an existing ‘noteless’ “contact”; or in a newly-created but as yet ‘noteless’ “contact” after hitting “Done”. I discovered that it is possible to enter or add to “Notes” without hitting “+” or “Edit” at all. As to whether or not that is a good thing, (in that it may make accidental deletion of “notes” more likely), i haven’t yet reached a decisive opinion.

After having entered some new “notes” without having gone into either of the “Edit” or “+” (add new “Contact”) modes, i found that now that i have done so, i am also able to enter new “notes” while in both those modes (“Edit” and “+”). In other words: I have no idea why; but somehow it is now fixed. I hope this helps someone.

Mar 13, 2019 7:24 AM in response to richard grant

This “solved” response is not helpful. The issue is NOT SOLVED.

This is a real issue that many of us are experiencing, including myself today. Only once in a blue moon when the planets are aligned and the stock market is steady and no celebrity puts his foot in his mouth, does the notes field in the built in contacts app actually work such that when I tap inside the field, a cursor appears to allow me to type text inside that field. Most of the time, the cursor just sits in whatever other field it is in, picking its nose, refusing to engage in the notes field. This is an ongoing issue that I have experienced for over a year off and on. iPhone 7 here, running the absolute latest handy-dandy version of iOS.

Mar 13, 2019 3:39 PM in response to Onthuhlist

Onthuhlist, my apologies.

My post was premature.

After probably half an hour of testing and re testing it worked every time,

existing contacts, newly created contacts...worked every time...Then...

the celebrity put the "foot in the mouth" and Notes field wouldn't let me in

to edit, such a pain.

Same on erratic behaviour on my wife's iPhone 6 with latest iOS update.

Apple need to have a look at this

To Be Continued..

Apr 4, 2019 1:52 PM in response to jpaquette

From my personal experience/ frustration I think the issue is occuring when you have an incoming call (say from a new customer) and you use the "Add to Contacts" function. in these instances when you scroll down to input "Notes", the area is large and has no green plus sign like the other input fields. Tapping all around the field either does nothing, or causes the keyboard to hide.

...so there definitely is a glitch. That said - there is a work around. Albeit frustrating. To get the keyboard to appear again scroll to the top and touch one of the name entry fields. Keyboard should appear. Now scroll back down and carefully try to touch just under the "N" in "Notes". If you miss, the keyboard will disappear and you need to repeat the above steps. Easier - Add just the Name from "Add to contacts" - then exit, open Contacts - find that name and add the notes there.

iPhone 6 iOS12.1.4 (update is larger than current possible free space - upgrade is larger than my current wallet) Apple SE's need to add an if statement that keeps the keyboard up if it already is onscreen.

Apr 8, 2019 9:11 AM in response to AM148

This only works if you haven’t tapped anywhere else in the notes field first. The form gets itself into a place where it is stuck, and the only way out is to tap on another field and then come back to the Notes field and tap it exactly within the very small place that you describe. This is insane and inexcusable logic for a 2019 GUI. Why should the user have to adjust his normal behavior to be different from that which is used on every other iPhone form that exists in the world? On every other form, he simply taps in the field, and starts typing, and it works. Why should the notes field be any different?

Notes in Contacts Broken in iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.