Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp: Unknown device in device manager

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded to Mojave and run the installation for Boot Camp for Win10 and found an unknown device in device manager as the picture below:

User uploaded file

The device is on Pci Bus and has (Code 28)

User uploaded file

The device detail: ACPI\INT34BA\3&11583659&0 as following picture:

User uploaded file

I tried reinstall Boot Camp setup for Windows couple times and got the same result.

Please help if anyone has solution for this. Appreciate it and thanks very much

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Mojave (10.14), Second OS: Windows 10 build 1803

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:56 AM

57 replies

Oct 6, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Dubayy2020

Dubayy2020 wrote:

No, as of current bootcamp is just not ready or designed for 2018 macbooks.

Then the BC Assistant on such models should have been removed with a clear notification. It is a bad idea to have statements like If you see the alert 'Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured' - Apple Support (as referenced in the Mojave-compatible link - Install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support ) and release products which behave incorrectly.

Dubayy2020 wrote:

Apple also will not have a fix for the rebooting issue, where you must shut down windows then power the machine back on to enter MacOS with keyboard and mouse support. They stated it compromises the T2's Security.

This is incorrect. See when are boot camp drivers going to be updated ? and the iMac Pro (Mac computers that have the Apple T2 chip - Apple Support) already works correctly.

The T2 has many issues. Also, 'immature' products should clearly warn the consumer about limitations. 😉 (... but there is always a way out as stated in Apple - Legal - Licensed Application End User License Agreement ).

This is not pointing the finger at you, but the sources of information that you are working with.

Oct 6, 2018 2:22 PM in response to Dubayy2020

Apart from hardware-related issues, there are issues like Keyboard and touchpad after restart from windows to macOS not working which directly point to T2. From my perspective T2 is a single-point-of-failure. To save real-estate on boards, more such SPoF are created.

I prefer waiting another 12-24 months for maturity in the T2 controller design, before I invest in products with it.

Feb 25, 2019 11:03 AM in response to wt7396

Can we get proper replies from Apple?

• will the problem be fixed?
  • can I get refund/replacement for a damaged MBP?

I also have the problems listed in the thread. More over, my new MBP is a replacement for my previous one which apparently melted just like some of the posts describe here! The melted MBP has issues with the lid now (it doesn't close fully) and the trackpad has issues with clicking it (I use external mouse and never noticed how the problem developed).

I mainly use Windows/Bootcamp and it seems that due to unfinished drivers I get all these issues (previous mac physically deformed, and the new one has the same missing drivers issues).

We have hundreds of MBPs in our office, not sure how many have these problems, but can we get proper reply from apple directly for these problems?

Thanks

Oct 6, 2018 11:01 AM in response to wt7396

It is a known issue, Usualy apple sets it to be under Hidden devices. It controls the battery power usage and this is why bootcamp has such horrible battery life. Also it controls the CPU this is also why bootcamp thermal throttles. I have contacted apple for nearly 3 months at the SR EXEC LEVEL. They state their engineers are working on it and that bootcamp is NOT ready for the 2018 macbooks.

Oct 6, 2018 1:20 PM in response to Loner T

No, as of current bootcamp is just not ready or designed for 2018 macbooks. If you check your drivers including Sound Card you will notice microsoft generic drivers in use, check driver info. There is currently no Road Map for a Bootcamp Release for the 2018. Apple recommends using Vmware and Parallels. Apple also will not have a fix for the rebooting issue, where you must shut down windows then power the machine back on to enter MacOS with keyboard and mouse support. They stated it compromises the T2's Security. In english it is what is it.

Oct 6, 2018 1:51 PM in response to Loner T

I agree. My 1st comment to the engineers who kept calling me was. Why do you allow it to proceed. Bootcamp can actually overheat the logic board causing warping (documented by Louis Rossmann) he is a well respected apple repair company. Once the logic board warps the heat-sink can not make contact and causes the processor to fail.

The T2 reboot does not work correctly with rebooting. It is documented again on apple support that a full shut down is required. (updated October 5th 2018) And if you check my other posts you would know that I work Directly with Apple Engineers in the UK Cork Offices and i have been on their team for the last 4 months. They have called me and emailed me to remotely control my laptop to test new drivers and see the conditions of use that are causing certain errors. My information is 100% correct and 100% accurate.

Oct 6, 2018 2:13 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T I follow dubayy2020's posts. He helped me and another guy get their laptops replaced when apple refused to do anything for us. He told us give him 2 days. 2 days later we got a call from apple executive relations asking us to please prepare our laptops and that DHL would come collect them and issue us new ones. He is right thou the T2 restart issues still exist in my 2018 MacBook pro 2.9. We talked to the guy from apple executive about the bootcamp issue and they said that "Dubayy knows more than executive relations does cause he works directly with our engineers" and that's how we found out what he does. So I wouldn't be trying to discredit and apple does say that you cant restart directly from windows to macos but you can go macos to windows. Dubayy is right again cuz even in Mojave the bootcamp partition isn't even listed in startup disks.

Oct 6, 2018 2:33 PM in response to AhmedDagreatest

AhmedDagreatest wrote:

We talked to the guy from apple executive about the bootcamp issue and they said that "Dubayy knows more than executive relations does cause he works directly with our engineers" and that's how we found out what he does.

Thanks for vouching for Dubayy2020 . 😉

AhmedDagreatest wrote:

So I wouldn't be trying to discredit and apple does say that you cant restart directly from windows to macos but you can go macos to windows. Dubayy is right again cuz even in Mojave the bootcamp partition isn't even listed in startup disks.

I personally would not touch any 2017/2018 Macs for another 12-24 months except as toys. Mojave, T2, APFS - technologies which belong in the Lab. I use a refurbished 2016 MBP or a 2012/2013 MBP. Bleeding edge causes a lot of blood loss. 😝

Oct 6, 2018 2:46 PM in response to Loner T

Nothing against you Loner T. I don't like to brag about my experience. I will say this the T2 is a closed ecosystem chip. Bootcamp can barely access it or read from it. Remember the controller for everything is on the T2, SSD, Sound etc. Apple does not want windows to access the chip. Windows is running a software soundcard basically. Use Skype in Windows 10 Bootcamp (version 7 classic which is still current) you will see the sound will turn off completely. Plug in headphones and switch between the two audio sources it goes back on. The drivers are generic Microsoft. The missing drivers are for Power Management which is controlled by the T2 again Apple does not want windows to have access.

The 2018 Macbook pro's are not bleeding edge. Their specifications are 1 to 2 years behind other builders. Even the last EFI update put a clock lock on the i9 processor. What is the point of having an HK unlocked processor to have a lock put back on it? The i7 2.6 is greatly faster than the i9 now. A complete redesign will occur soon as Apple is calling 2018 merely a Spec Bump. Apple is working on a new form of virtualization that will have barely any performance loss while running windows 10 in VM. Hint... Look at a certain technology for Virtualization that the new Intel chips have.

Oct 6, 2018 4:06 PM in response to Dubayy2020

Dubayy2020 wrote:

I will say this the T2 is a closed ecosystem chip. Bootcamp can barely access it or read from it. Remember the controller for everything is on the T2, SSD, Sound etc. Apple does not want windows to access the chip.

It is a matter of exposing APIs to a driver, which can control all aspects of functionality. The second statement is probably the key.

Dubayy2020 wrote:

The 2018 Macbook pro's are not bleeding edge. Their specifications are 1 to 2 years behind other builders. Even the last EFI update put a clock lock on the i9 processor. What is the point of having an HK unlocked processor to have a lock put back on it? The i7 2.6 is greatly faster than the i9 now.

This is normally the typical product vs technology cycle. If the T2 has documented interfaces, they can be used. If they are not, it creates a longevity issue.

Dubayy2020 wrote:

A complete redesign will occur soon as Apple is calling 2018 merely a Spec Bump. Apple is working on a new form of virtualization that will have barely any performance loss while running windows 10 in VM. Hint... Look at a certain technology for Virtualization that the new Intel chips have.

Remember the old DEC Alpha and HAL. It is interesting to have an Intel (virtually open) technology married to an Apple T2 (a completely closed ecosystem) to build a consumer device. Let us see where this iteration of Virtualization goes. There is no such thing as a Free Lunch. 😉 Once Apple is willing to manufacture a proprietary T2, perhaps a non-Intel/AMD/nVidia GPU (perhaps an eGPU model) is also on the horizon.

We have drifted afar from OP's issue.

Oct 6, 2018 4:29 PM in response to Loner T

The t2 is fully closed off even fan control is disabled from windows. so no we can not build api's to drive like a kext. It would expose T2 and since all control access must go thru the T2 to even send a signal to ramp fans or reduce would leave a loophole. Apple made sure this is closed. Next the Revamp will be Non-Intel chips. Apple has built 3 new factories. Look at the new Iphones Bionic Chip. Hint hint.... Apple also announced that it will make in-house processors. The revamps will be Apple CPU's which is why virtualization is so important.

Oct 6, 2018 4:56 PM in response to Dubayy2020

Dubayy2020 wrote:

The t2 is fully closed off even fan control is disabled from windows. so no we can not build api's to drive like a kext. It would expose T2 and since all control access must go thru the T2 to even send a signal to ramp fans or reduce would leave a loophole. Apple made sure this is closed.

macOS can perform fan control functions, so what is the difference between macOS and Windows from a client (OS) to a server (T2) via an interface like UEFI? The 'closed' part is eventually a control technique. There will always be this 'open' vs 'closed' debate. For example, the Android vs iOS, market share.

Dubayy2020 wrote:

Next the Revamp will be Non-Intel chips. Apple has built 3 new factories. Look at the new Iphones Bionic Chip. Hint hint.... Apple also announced that it will make in-house processors. The revamps will be Apple CPU's which is why virtualization is so important.

The Processors would most likely be based on ARMv8.4-A. macOS will not stray too far from it's BSD/NeXT roots. Virtualization is important for keeping what you can run today, also running tomorrow, otherwise it is a disastrous marketing strategy.

Boot Camp: Unknown device in device manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.