Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave broke custom icons again!!!! External HDD VERY slow

If you have a lot of custom icons for videos on an External HDD then I would either not upgrade to Mojave or delete all the custom icons like I have had to.

I "upgraded" to Mojave to find that the exact same issue that happened with OS X High Sierra which caused huge slow downs when an external HDD was connected with videos that had custom icons (link to the old thread is below). I therefore was lucky enough (or smart enough) this time to have had a backup just before I upgraded so I reverted back to OS X High Sierra where I was able to remove all custom icons (only years worth, around 2,000 or so?) and am now currently downloading Mojave again.

Very frustrating that Apple have done this yet again, and still custom icons are broken. Last time they took a month or so to fix the issue but still didn't fix the custom icon creation as new custom icons are blown up too large, instead of the thumbnail being rectangular HD sized they are just square and stretched. I noticed in Mojave however they've changed again, they are now back to the HD size they should be but they are incredibly blurry... so something was changed in Mojave that has brought back this slowness, either Apple tried fixing custom icons and failed or changed something around it and accidentally unnoticed this error.

You can find the previous thread that happened a year ago with the same issue as now: External Hard Drive incredibly slow after High Sierra

I will not be reporting this issue to Apple either, they've been ignoring 2 of my bug reports about issues regarding custom icons and something else which has not been fixed for well over a year so I have given up trying, but it wouldn't be any use anyway as I have now just removed custom icons all together as clearly Apple do not care about them anymore and it is constantly breaking every year a new software comes out. Disappointing.

iMac

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:52 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 5, 2018 8:57 PM in response to J4MMYz

Yes, here we go again... This really seems insane.

I remember last year you said you were in contact with someone and they were working with you to fix it. Hopefully something like that happens again.

It's NOT fixed with the 10.14.1 beta (yet, at least) by the way. In fact, it seems to have made it WAY worse than before. Icons now load about 5-10 times slower somehow. Just a joke...

Last year, they didn't fix it until 10.13.2.

Really just hope that they at least actually fix it this time and this problem doesn't stay for like a year (or forever).

Dec 13, 2018 2:20 PM in response to J4MMYz

I have this problem as well. I use Path Finder as my browser and movie launcher, and it also freezes if I open a folder full of movie files with custom icons on my new Mac mini with Mojave 10.14.2. But unlike Finder, Path Finder has a “Custom Icon” checkbox in its “Get Info” panel. By highlighting all the files in a folder and using the “Show Inspector” panel, I can clear that checkbox on all the files at once, and the problem disappears. Best of all, the checkbox seems to only disassociate the file from its resource fork containing the custom icon, so rechecking the box restores the custom icon without having to repaste it for hundreds of files. So custom icons can be easily restored for whatever Mojave version fixes this problem.

Mojave broke custom icons again!!!! External HDD VERY slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.