Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder: copy and paste icon does not work like before bigsur

hi,

i am not sure, why i cannot copy and paste my icons in the "get info" window in finder, for example a external ssd or external harddiscs anymore - before big sur, it worked smooth and i had plenty of customized icons on the discs.

thanks

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 9:35 AM

it's working for me too on big sur. here's a couple of my external drives that i currently have connected to my iMac 19,1 running big sur. and, no, i did not need to disable SIP.

you might want to try downloading and running the free version of EtreCheck to see if you have software installed that may be the cause of your issue.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 9:35 AM in response to peppermint

it's working for me too on big sur. here's a couple of my external drives that i currently have connected to my iMac 19,1 running big sur. and, no, i did not need to disable SIP.

you might want to try downloading and running the free version of EtreCheck to see if you have software installed that may be the cause of your issue.

Jul 20, 2021 8:53 AM in response to peppermint

peppermint wrote:

thanks

did you deactivate SIP?

No. And I strongly advise against it.

i can copy the icon, but when i paste it, the paste button is greyed out, also the short cot "command v" is not working

now i tried to copy and paste an icon to a folder on the desktop, it worked!
but i cannot paste it to the harddisc icon, although, i am the owner of all discs (10)

I did try with a disk, and it is working.

Incidentally, your disks appear to be nearly full. The one with only 10GB out of 6TB is really full. This could cause performance issues.

Aug 8, 2021 12:07 PM in response to r189

(i used etre check, and everything was ok)

it is working now, as another user showed me the proper way of copy/paste for icons.

before i did: command+c and the clipboard was empty (?)

when i open both infos "command + i" for both drives (the drive i want to copy from and the drive i want to paste to)

and just click the icon from one drive (in the "about this drive" window) and drag this icon to the other window (icon space)

it works 100%!!!!

finder: copy and paste icon does not work like before bigsur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.