Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to complete Mojave install

Have a top of the line 2014 iMac that cannot finish installing Mojave. Down loads fine, but when asked to click on the drive where it will be installed, the button to "install" is not active (ie grayed out) after selecting install and agreeing to terms. When I scroll over the Macintosh HD icon it says this "disk is used for Time Machine backups" Weird since it is backed up to multiple external drives. I have plenty of room on HD, and Mojave is compatible with 2014 iMac. Tried deleting the download and then downloading again as well as force quitting the install mojave app, and rebooting. Had no problems on my 2 laptops. I also tried turning off time machine automatic back ups. Any ideas?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 3:26 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, PDX Dude!

I understand you tried installing macOS Mojave on your iMac, but were unable to due to being told the disk was being used for Time Machine backups. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

These steps address just what you mention: If you can't install macOS on a Time Machine backup disk
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2018 3:26 AM in response to PDX Dude

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, PDX Dude!

I understand you tried installing macOS Mojave on your iMac, but were unable to due to being told the disk was being used for Time Machine backups. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

These steps address just what you mention: If you can't install macOS on a Time Machine backup disk
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Sep 29, 2018 8:09 PM in response to daniel apple

Never power off a machine when updating firmware or an operating system! Never! Leave it alone no matter how long it takes. The time remaining estimate is not very accurate! In the best case you will have to reinstall the OS and in the worst case you can brick your stuff! It’s almost impossible to brick a Mac but not an Apple Watch or iPhone!

If your Mac has a fusion drive or hard drive instead of an SSD, the installation can take a long time. Especially on a slow 5400rpm which the base iMac 21s come with! If you didn’t upgrade your drive when buying the iMac, then you have a 5400rpm drive which is really really slow. That slow drive cripples what would otherwise be a fast machine.

You have a corrupted operating system now. That’s what the flashing folder is and it is impossible to boot the machine into macOS right now.

You must do an internet recovery and then restore from time machine backup if you want.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Turn off the machine.

Power on while holding Option+Command+R.

Follow the prompts and have patience.

If you have more trouble just ask. I’ll try to help out!

Sep 27, 2018 6:48 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you for your answer. To clarify I am trying to install Mojave on my HD. I found the backup.backupdb file on the Mac's HD. However, after I deleted it, the trash would not empty (hung up). Trash says several operations are still in use. After several hours, I tried to install Mojave anyway but I cannot get the trash to empty, and the install Mojave is now a bit further than before but still stuck. It now says it is "ready to install" and "Closing applications and preparing to restart" but has been stuck at that point for over 12 hours now. I suspect this is because the trash cannot be emptied? Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Sep 29, 2018 4:19 PM in response to MoonJ.

I attempted to install Mojave’s upgrade on a fully capable 2015 iMac 21.

The download process took a long time to complete (about 45 minutes).

I completed all steps to activate the install sequence. Four hours into the install the time remaining continued to state 32 minutes remains. However after another 30 minutes the Mac indicated no progress on the install. It was clearly making no progress on the install. So I turned off the power on the Mac. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then powered up. When start up began the startup tones sounded and the screen indicated a slight glow. Approximately ten minutes lat a white folder with a question mark on the folder began to flash slowly.

Any ideas regarding how I can successfully restart the iMac?

Oct 1, 2018 3:26 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you. This worked, and I have installed Mojave. However the backups.backupdb file is still in the trash, and cannot be emptied because it says multiple items are in use. Weird as the "get info" says there is ) data in there. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Do I need a backupdb file on the HD?

Again, many thanks.

Oct 10, 2018 4:25 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi StarrC,

I have the same problem with High Sierra;it indicates that I have a disk used for Time Machine. However ,when I disable time machine and locate Backups.backdupdb folder, I am unable to move it to trash let alone delete. I highlight the entire folder and "move to trash" then type password and the sound of trash is made but nothing is moved.

Can you please advise?

Mac mini (late 2012) 2.5 GHz intel core i5 Macfusion

thank you in advance,

Raff

unable to complete Mojave install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.