Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express (2nd gen) not showing in home app.

Is the airport express (2ng gen) suppose to show up in the home app after firmware update? Blogs are saying it should, but mine didn't. Please note: I can stream music to it.

iPhone SE, iOS 12, null

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:41 AM

Ok, fired-up my 2nd gen AirPort Express and it was "seen" by my iPhone SE to add it as an accessory.

I made sure that:

1. I have both Home and Keychain enabled for my iCloud account.
  2. You can't add accessories from a Mac, so I used the iPhone to add my Express.
  3. To do so:
    1. Tap on the Home app.
    2. Tap on the plus "+" in the upper-right corner.
    3. Tap on Add Accessory.
    4. Tap on Don't Have a Code or Can't Scan?
    5. My Express showed up on the next screen and I was able to select it.

Ref: Set up and use the Home app - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 9:41 AM in response to MMaaMM

Ok, fired-up my 2nd gen AirPort Express and it was "seen" by my iPhone SE to add it as an accessory.

I made sure that:

1. I have both Home and Keychain enabled for my iCloud account.
  2. You can't add accessories from a Mac, so I used the iPhone to add my Express.
  3. To do so:
    1. Tap on the Home app.
    2. Tap on the plus "+" in the upper-right corner.
    3. Tap on Add Accessory.
    4. Tap on Don't Have a Code or Can't Scan?
    5. My Express showed up on the next screen and I was able to select it.

Ref: Set up and use the Home app - Apple Support

Sep 25, 2018 2:22 PM in response to MMaaMM

The new firmware is very buggy. People are finding loads of issues..

If you cannot get it to show up directly you can often access it using manual method..

ie in Airport Utility (not sure what home app you are talking about). Go to top menu, file, configure other.

You will need the Express IP address which you can find from whatever router is handing out IP addresses.

If you are unsure tell us the whole network setup and we can give you more instructions.. once you find it then set its IP to static instead of DHCP which will help to locate it next time.

Sep 25, 2018 3:23 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ah- maybe a .01 update to the firmware will provide fix??? The "Home" Application is the Homekit control interface that Apple includes in iOS and Mojave. Do you have a newish iPhone or Mac? Does your 2nd Gen Airport Express show up in the "Home" Application? Theoretically, it should allow some Siri and Homekit integration of the express' AirPlay 2 feature. The blogs give examples of it showing up during the beta periods, but mine doesn't show. I'm on 12.1 beta on my iPhone.

Sep 25, 2018 8:52 PM in response to MMaaMM

You do understand that we can’t discuss issues with beta software here ... correct?

It’s late here at the momen, but first chance I get, I’ll double check from both my iPhone SE (running iOS 12) and my 2014 Mac mini (running Mojave) and let you know if my 2nd gen Express (running 7.8) shows up in the HomeKit.

Airport express (2nd gen) not showing in home app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.