Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave installation fails: duplicate App Stores, can't sign in with Apple ID (Macbook Pro, Late 2016)

Installing Mojave from High Sierra on a 2016 Macbook Pro with Touch ID and the App Store and Books Store are broken. The error message is below:

User uploaded file

Duplicate High Sierra software remains, including the High Sierra App Store:

User uploaded file

And the Mojave App Store shows up with empty menus and won't let me sign in with my Apple ID.

-I've reset the SMC;

-I've reinstalled Mojave twice, erasing the hard drive and restoring files using Time Machine;

-I've checked the network and it's fine.

Is anyone else having these problems?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 7:27 PM

OK, I just spoke with Apple engineering and they gave me a fix for this. It worked for me and it may work for you. You must know how to use Terminal and access hidden directories with Finder in the root of your drive.

First, make SURE that you've backed up the directory /Library/Security/Trust Settings. Copy it on your Desktop or Downloads directory, or wherever you'll be able to access it.

1. Again, back up the user certificate trust settings files described above. Then, remove them with the following commands, entering your administrator password when prompted:

cd "/Library/Security"

sudo ditto -ck "Trust Settings" TrustSettingsBackup.zip

cd "/Library/Security/Trust Settings"

sudo rm *.plist

2. Attempt to sign into the App Store.

This didn't work for me until I restarted at which point I was able to log in and see all of my accumulated updates. If you're not comfortable working at the system level, DON'T do this. If you are, this may fix your problem. It did for me.

Once you're sure that you've got the App Store working, you can delete the TrustSettingsBackup.zip file as well as the backup of the Trust Settings directory.

Let me know how it goes.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2018 7:27 PM in response to testingtestingtesting

OK, I just spoke with Apple engineering and they gave me a fix for this. It worked for me and it may work for you. You must know how to use Terminal and access hidden directories with Finder in the root of your drive.

First, make SURE that you've backed up the directory /Library/Security/Trust Settings. Copy it on your Desktop or Downloads directory, or wherever you'll be able to access it.

1. Again, back up the user certificate trust settings files described above. Then, remove them with the following commands, entering your administrator password when prompted:

cd "/Library/Security"

sudo rm *.plist

2. Attempt to sign into the App Store.

This didn't work for me until I restarted at which point I was able to log in and see all of my accumulated updates. If you're not comfortable working at the system level, DON'T do this. If you are, this may fix your problem. It did for me.

Once you're sure that you've got the App Store working, you can delete the TrustSettingsBackup.zip file as well as the backup of the Trust Settings directory.

Let me know how it goes.

Sep 30, 2018 9:18 AM in response to testingtestingtesting

I have exactly the same problem with a late-2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touchbar. There are definitely leftovers from the previous App Store installation. While the High Sierra application is gone, the system parts still remain. Here's what I've extracted from system.log in Console. Unfortunately, these files are owned by Root and can't be changed or manipulated by the user, even with Admin privileges.

Sep 25 07:26:13 Rons-MacbookPro-3 App Store[2783]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: dispatch source activated with no event handler set; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug

Sep 25 07:26:21 Rons-MacbookPro-3 App Store[2783]: objc[2783]: Class ITNSImage is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/iTunesLibrary (0x7fff86114568) and /System/Library/CoreServices/SetupAssistantPlugins/iTunes.icdplugin/Contents/Ma cOS/iTunes (0x11f5567c8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Oct 1, 2018 6:04 AM in response to BocaBoy

I was able to delete the files by disabling System Integrity Protection. You can restart into restore mode using command R and then select Terminal from the utilities menu. In the terminal, type csrutil disable and hit return. Reboot and you should be able to delete the files. You can restore SIP by repeating the process and entering csrutil enable.

This allowed me to delete the duplicate folders but I still can’t connect to the App Store yet. Will update if I find a solution!

Oct 3, 2018 5:47 AM in response to BocaBoy

BocaBoy wrote:

cd "/Library/Security"

sudo rm *.plist

This worked perfectly for me - many thanks for posting!

Mojave installation fails: duplicate App Stores, can't sign in with Apple ID (Macbook Pro, Late 2016)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.