Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

search in preview not working in macos mojave

I recently updated my macbook air from macos sierra(skipped high sierra) to macos mojave everything was fine but now i couldn't search in my pdfs in preview app it is always showing no results used to work fine on sierra just a day before

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 6:11 AM

BTW, in order to get search working again, you have to close the window (command + w) and reopen on the pdf. Closing Preview all together (command + q) and reopening the pdf doesn't work. This is indeed bizarre.

28 replies

Dec 3, 2018 3:46 PM in response to JonBOY26

Nothing's working for me ... but, if you read through this entire post, you'll find something new and interesting!

I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6. Preview version 10.0 (944.5). Files that I (probably) used to be able to search before are (no longer) searchable. I tried Cmd-W, closing and reopening Preview, change a Preference and restarting Preview, deleting ALL com.apple.preview.plist files. Nothing works.

I can search some files fine, but not others with Preview. Here's something further interesting ... the files I CAN search with Preview I can also search with Adobe Acrobat DC. The files that don't work in Preview don't work with Acrobat either! And the same is true of Safari and Google Chrome using File>Open File ...

AND, using Preview and Safari "Export as PDF ..." doesn't work either! Files still remain unsearchable.

However, I was able (with some errors) to use ABBYY's FineReader to "convert" an unsearchable PDF to a searchable PDF file.

A very very strange bug. There certainly appears to be something wrong with the unsearchable files.

I think I found out what it is ... apparently these unsearchable files are not in fact PDF files, but are IMAGES! I installed a free trial of Adobe's Acrobat Pro DC, which I do NOT want to pay for. But I opened an unsearchable file, and it said, "This page contains only an image. Would you like to run text recognition to make the text on this page accessible?" I converted the file to "Editable text and images". VOILA! The resulting file is searchable, even in Preview!

Now the mystery is ... "why and when did my previously searchable .PDF files become image files?"

Does anybody have an easier way to convert such files back into true PDFs?

Feb 12, 2019 3:38 AM in response to VamsiKrishnaDevaRoyal

I deliberately didn't upgrade to Mojave until it had been around for a while, assuming most bugs would've been fixed by then. I finally took the plunge with 10.14.3 and within 24 hours I found this problem.

Nice to know it's not just me, but I'm amazed it still hasn't been fixed. This is the kind of thing you'd expect from Micro-bloody-soft, not Apple.

Feb 20, 2019 8:32 PM in response to VamsiKrishnaDevaRoyal

I also had this problem with search in Preview under Mojave – and not being able to search a 700+ page reference book is a serious problem! Works in most PDFs but not some. I've tried every possible workaround listed here and none worked for me. (FWIW, there is no Table of Contents option for search in this version).

Here's what worked: In Preview export your document as PDF. It'll create a new PDF which, in my case, was immediately searchable. IMPORTANT: Don't trash your original PDF if there are links in it. Exporting as PDF broke all chapter and TOC links.

But at least I can search this 700 page document.

search in preview not working in macos mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.