Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space bar won't open photos in Mojave

I just updated to Mojave and now, in Photos, when I have a thumbnail selected, hitting the space bar no longer functions to open (or later close) the image. This really inhibits my ability to quickly toggle into and out of images. I've seen a couple other scattered reports of this on the big wild web, but am wondering if anyone else here is experiencing it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:47 AM

You are not alone with this sentiment, see:

Re: Is v.4 of Photos (Mojave) different than v.3?

The spacebar is now used to start and stop videos - a video will play a preview in the thumbnail and I can start and stop it by hitting the space bar. It is now similar to iMovie, but to quickly open or close an image i have now to use the return key.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Kenneth Simon

You are not alone with this sentiment, see:

Re: Is v.4 of Photos (Mojave) different than v.3?

The spacebar is now used to start and stop videos - a video will play a preview in the thumbnail and I can start and stop it by hitting the space bar. It is now similar to iMovie, but to quickly open or close an image i have now to use the return key.

Nov 7, 2018 10:12 AM in response to léonie

If you want to get the Space bar functionality back and make the rest of your workflows more efficient use a macro app like Keyboard Maestro which can be used to launch apps, open folders and or documents, enter text, etc. with a single keystroke or simple key combination. I use it and have over 250 macros which I use to shorten my workflow and speed it up. Entering the Keyboard Maestro URL link was one of them.

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2018 10:50 AM in response to tunawish

Thanks! I just followed your link and left this feedback for Apple:

This is one of the most ridiculous, unnecessary, and out-of-touch changes I've ever seen. I have way more photos than videos, so your trying to somehow be consistent with video viewing in your shortcut change has caused me a huge amount of trouble. There is a good workaround published on line. You should check it out.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8554200?answerId=33928019022#33928019022

Nov 7, 2018 7:22 AM in response to artist999

You may want to look at the date of the post, artist999, September 26, 2018. That was two days after Photos 4.0 and Mojave had been released. At that time we were still wondering, if this is a bug or intentional. The day before the Photos User Guide had still been describing the space bar shortcut like it has always been, so it looked like a bug. I posted my reply after I had seen, that Apple had updated the list of keyboard shortcuts to include the new behavior, when it became clear, that the changed behavior is unfortunately fully intentional (Photos keyboard shortcuts on Mac - Apple Support). If it were a bug, unexpected, incorrect behavior - we could hope for a bug fix. But with a new intended behavior - broken be design, there is not much hope for a fix by Apple.

Oct 18, 2018 12:18 PM in response to Kenneth Simon

Uhhg. I completely agree. MacOS has conditioned me to slap the spacebar to view objects, and this was an obvious, intuitive and consistent way to open/close photos.

My quantity of photos outnumbers my quantity of videos 30:1, so this change has made the spacebar 30x less useful (not to mention that the spacebar could previously be used to open/close videos as well).

Changing this behavior (without providing an option to restore the previous behavior) is offensive. I will not update to Mojave on my primary machine until an option is available.

Space bar won't open photos in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.